Notices

New and posting early morning...

Old 09-08-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and posting early morning...

Hello all...

I'm new to this site. I have been drinking, mainly in the evenings, but to excess with hard liquor for many years now. A month ago, I quit for 2 weeks, then quit quitting, have drank increasingly for 2 weeks, and am back to quitting it again. I am hoping to use this site as part of a system of support for my recovery.

I couldn't sleep a minute tonight, night two. Every time I start to nod off my body twitches. I have also developed gout like symptoms on one foot, which I hate. Both of these things happened a month ago, so I'm kicking myself (with my good foot) for making myself go through it again. No other signs of discomfort so far, so I'm going to make a go at it again.

Wish me resilience!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ChewyBees
Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Sometimes after we fall we can gain more determination and also more insight on what went wrong and how we can prevent it from happening again. Welcome!
Lilly
Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hope you stay sober this time, remember the bad times when you have a craving.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Chewy

So glad you are trying again. It is intereting, and very common, that once a person admits there's a problem, tries to quit, and relapses....drinking seems to increase exponentially. And I do believe once I admitted that yes, I have a problem, drinking was never any good at all again....just got worse and worse. You can do this!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

By reading a lot of post on this forum it can clear up some of the unknowns. I didn’t know that it’s the first drink that gets an alcoholic drunk or in trouble. I learned there were things I needed to do in order to recover like not drink.

The big thing for most of us is being honest about our drinking and accept the fact we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row. It’s that simple. I didn’t say easy but it definitely gets better.

BE WELL
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I signed up for support and I've done well by sticking around. Well done on your decision to quit.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Welcome to SR, ChewyBees. You did a good thing by reaching out & seeking support. A wise person on these boards once said, "It's easier to stay sober than to get sober". You have already gotten through day 1 (which is AWESOME), now your job is to STAY sober. When the little alcoholic voice (aka AV) wants to mess with you...post on here. When you get "bored" with all your extra sober time, post on here (then, clean your house...LOL). Replace your unhealthy habits with new ones. Whatever it is....do what you gotta do to STAY sober.

You are in excellent company, stay a while & get the paramount support offered here. (((hugs)))
Old 09-08-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Chewy!

I'm glad you have come here for support. We do understand the frustrations involved and we're here for you.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, I wish you resilience !
Good luck x
Old 09-08-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Chewybees welcome to SR, glad you made it here, and congrats on your decision to quit drinking! It takes awhile to get into a sleep pattern that is normal but eventually it happens.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol stops you going into a deep sleep. Once your sleep stabilizes, you'll be getting better sleep than you were during your binging days.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Good Luck Chewy !! One day at a time , Till we beat it Welcome glad you found SR , a lot of great people & info .
Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Welcome Chewy

So glad you are trying again. It is intereting, and very common, that once a person admits there's a problem, tries to quit, and relapses....drinking seems to increase exponentially. And I do believe once I admitted that yes, I have a problem, drinking was never any good at all again....just got worse and worse. You can do this!
I am glad I read your post as this has happened to me and I thought it must happen to others. I quit for 2 months then relapsed and drank more than ever and though about it more than ever. It must be the AV getting scared then making up for the quit period.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Chewybees, I hope you find the strength to keep alcohol out of your life for an extended period of time. No sleep and gout does not sound like much fun. I wish you the very best.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chewy!!