Notices

The term alcoholic...

Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The term alcoholic...

As I continue to study the AA Big Book I came across a viewpoint that made sense....

Enjoy!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/9-rea...romSplash=true
Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I agree with Holly, but when I say I'm an alcoholic people seem to know what I mean. When I say I'm an addict they don't know what to think. Still, I consider myself an addict, and alcohol was just one of my addictions.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
waking down

Hey! I just realized I wrote that alcohol WAS one of my addictions. Didn't even think about it. That's progress, I think, as long as I don't drink.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great article and share!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great article and I agree fully with most of what she's written. I used to have a drinking problem but I don't define myself by my past mistakes. Unfortunately once you've tried to do the responsible thing and take care of the problem, you're labeled for life by your peers and society even if their ongoing habits are identical to your previous ones.
I am a human being with human flaws who's made human mistakes.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I don't yell to the roof tops to anyone Saying I'm an alcoholic , cause around where I live there is at least one in three that are & they hide it. I just say if asked - I don't drink anymore for I know they know I did . If they have to ask more details I say - Why would anyone want to drink & do crazy dumb things , & feel bad about it after ? BTW I add - Does that make sense to you ? That kind of ends the conversation & any more questions .
Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Loved that! I am wired to think exactly the same way!
Old 09-06-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hmmmmmm,

From Holly's website -
"This is not therapy, nor is it counseling or rehab or sponsorship or like anything else that exists on the market. Because I’m not like anything else that exists on the market. And I - as your sober spirit guide coach - will do everything in my power to support you exactly the way you need to be supported."

"I work with a limited number of clients on a monthly retainer format only. I do this because I want to make sure that those I work with get GREAT benefit and major personal attention and love, and because I have found that "here and there" sessions do not work. "

Blog linked to sale pitch for a process with no clear direction or program of recovery. I'd be concerned about spending too much time or energy on a sober spirit guide coach.......

I'll stick to the journal of the first 100 you reference which clearly gives me simple directions on how they recovered.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
waking down

Sober spirit guide coach. Hmmm... Sounds kind of like a sponsor.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Didn't see that...no spirit coach for me...LinkedIn advertising...

Scammers. ..

That is just wrong...
Old 09-06-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with advertising although sometimes the methods can be a bit unethical. This site advertises many recovery products. Still like her point of view. Whether we like it or not making money selling recovery techniques is big business. Even ones you can get for free.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Founder at Hip sobriety. There should be a sober club or something. The hardest part is fitting in sober and still hanging at parties and other events. Maybe if the redefined alcholic or came up with a new term it would help people feel more comfortable.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

letitgo Now that is an interesting idea . You have clubs & events built around alcohol . Someone should open Sober clubs . Yes I like it
Old 09-07-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Patent pending lol
Old 09-07-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Founder at Hip sobriety. There should be a sober club or something. The hardest part is fitting in sober and still hanging at parties and other events. Maybe if the redefined alcholic or came up with a new term it would help people feel more comfortable.

The issue for many of us is developing that emotional sobriety. I started drinking at a very young age - alcohol lubricated the social wheels. The problem became that without booze I felt awkward and unable to meld into the group. I have to learn how to do that / feel comfortable in my own skin.

Sobriety is an inside job.......Today I really am not concerned about how others would choose to define me. I don't label myself anything I don't feel part of or comfortable with. That's up to the individual.

My label for people like us, working a solution - trying to better themselves and the world around them is simply - Friend.....
Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

The term alcoholic saved my life I don't tell ppl I am only other alcoholics apart from my Dr & therapist

Whether it's an allergy to alcohol, alcohol problem syndrome, alcohol dependent, binge drinker, big drinker, heavy drinker,

No one really gets alcoholism if they havnt been directly involved or affected by alcoholism or any of the above terms

The label really doesn't matter I could call it purple frogism but as long as I don't drink alcohol & work on why I don't it will help me to stay sober day by day

The label is irreverent but.... your action & understanding your 'insert label here' is seriously important

Sorry I've been working out all morning I'm in the rocky zone lol
Old 09-07-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me the KISS expression works : I cannot drink alcohol in safety! Call it what you want to make you feel OK if needed. Under any name it will still be a miserable life if consuming alcohol continues then a very horrible death.
Over the years I’ve seen many theories come and go to no avail.

The bottom line, fact, if we don’t pick up a first drink we won’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN.

BE WELL
Old 09-07-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
As I continue to study the AA Big Book I came across a viewpoint that made sense....

Enjoy!

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/9-rea...romSplash=true
Good article. I relate to a lot of it. I have often found that many of the stereo types and mindsets that have been perpetuated in AA, and societies perceptions of AA, can actually be damaging to my ability to move forward, and the ability of others around me to allow me to. I know that might upset AA enthusiasts. Also the just say NO philosophy of the 80's is equally damaging and archiac. I'm not sure where the balance lies for me. But I have always been uncomfortable with the term alcoholic. Addict works well for me, for whatever reason. Maybe its all BS mind games. At the end of the day, I cannot drink alcohol. There was a time I called myself 'recovered'. Then, after two years, I relapsed. So now I am mindful...I live in the moment. Or I try Today I don't drink and am an addict. Works for me right now. I suspect it will take years before I really know who/what I am. That is really the source of my addiction. So until my 'self' has baked long enough in the incubator, I'm an addict, living for this moment.
So how does this article jibe with your interest and learning in AA?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Good article. I relate to a lot of it....
So how does this article jibe with your interest and learning in AA?
Flynby caught that this gal was selling her concept. Spirit coach...lol...

So that was embarrassing.

It doesn't go w my AA BB studies.

I currently have an aversion to calling myself an alcoholic, so I related to her concepts.

Smart girl. Sending happy messages and essentially muddling up us newcomers absorption of the real time proven program.

Just don't drink..that message is clear as a bell..thanks to all of you.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Selling good feelings is, historically, a pretty good business model. It gets frowned upon less frequently than peddling hate and discontent, though there's certainly markets for that, too. The unfortunate side is that the difficulty arises when we try to separate the business aspect from the merit of her assertions.

Somehow, if you struggle with labeling yourself, a "recovery-spirit-guide-coach" (which is a lot of labels itself) probably isn't the best solution on more than a very temporary basis.

There's a mark born every minute...