Notices

Sponsors

Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsors

Is there a forum where you can request to have, or offer to be a sponsor? Or does that only work IRL? I would love to have someone to talk personally to and be accountable to. If that is not done here, I understand.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is no forum here for that purpose that I know of. I think a sponsor's purpose is to lead you thru the steps. The only sponsors I've read of are real life ones.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yellowyellow View Post
Is there a forum where you can request to have, or offer to be a sponsor? Or does that only work IRL? I would love to have someone to talk personally to and be accountable to. If that is not done here, I understand.
If you just need someone to buddy up with, you can ask in your month's thread. You are in the class of September, right? Ask in there if someone wants to buddy up with you so you can be accountable to each other and talk about what you're going through. I think sponsorship in AA requires face to face meeting time, and a lot of it.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Retread. I'll do that.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, anytime you post in the Newcomers forum, you will get lots of support.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I have known folks to have a sponsor that is distant from where the sponsee resides. Are you unable to go to meetings, or are you using the term sponsor in another fashion other than in AA terms??
Old 09-05-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Plenty of support on SR, always someone around to reply to threads!!
Old 09-05-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm a huge fan of the support found here on SR but it will never be a substitute for a human sponsor and in person AA meetings.

There are not many places in the world where AA is not available. Are you in one of them?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi MIR. I know there are AA meetings around my town. I thought about going to one before I found this site. I don't have transport right now, so I think I will be ok for now, but might go to a meeting at some point. I'm not in danger, as I'm not a daily drinker. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Hi MIR. I know there are AA meetings around my town. I thought about going to one before I found this site. I don't have transport right now, so I think I will be ok for now, but might go to a meeting at some point. I'm not in danger, as I'm not a daily drinker. Thank you for the suggestion.
It has been my experience that I need to go to an AA meeting long before I need it. As far as transportation goes just about anyone who is active will pick you up because picking you up helps to keep them sober
Old 09-06-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chances

I go occasionally to AA meetings. They're great for me in reminding me this is real and I can't drink. IE They keep me focused.
As for a sponsor - No Way.

It's what works for you. I simple wouldn't open up to someone and tell them my total past, feelings, cry etc. As such it wouldn't be 100% real.

I do however find self improvement / character enhancement a great tool. (That's what the 12 steps are) You can do that yourself. Read the BB and other self help books. Use the forum for questions and always assess your actions and thoughts after the emotions have past.

The best book I've read isn't the BB - it's how to make friends and influence people. I've read it twice, the second time siding or and making notes.

It's what works for you that is essential. If that's a sponsor you simple can't afford not to get one. If it's something else you simple can't afford to deprive yourself

Good luck
Old 09-06-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
The great thing about face to face meetings is the understanding and the eyeball contact along with hearing the ESH expressed.

Many alcoholics need a guide to understand getting and staying sober and understand the new terminology we encounter, like BBSSCD meeting and so on. just remember not all that are have good sobriety are necessarily good sponsors for everyone as personalities play a part on both side and some have more patients than others. Remember it’s normal for both to help each other in the process.
If one does not understand talk to a sponsor.

BE WELL
Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your input. I think what I need most of all is someone to listen and understand. I have no one to talk to at all.

As I saw posted somewhere on here, it's not really about the drinking, it's more about what is going on inside my head. I find it crazy that my mind tells me for days that I shouldn't drink because it sends me into a deep depression, then one day it says Oh, go ahead, you deserve it! Bluh.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well stick with us YellowYellow your doing great if you do get urges or cravings reach out there is always someone here
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your input. I think what I need most of all is someone to listen and understand. I have no one to talk to at all.

As I saw posted somewhere on here, it's not really about the drinking, it's more about what is going on inside my head. I find it crazy that my mind tells me for days that I shouldn't drink because it sends me into a deep depression, then one day it says Oh, go ahead, you deserve it! Bluh.
It's crazy, but it's what alcohol does. So many of us have gone through this same cycle of thinking. You're in great shape just for recognizing the lie for what it is. So many people never get to that point. I didn't myself, until it was almost too late. Now when I start to think I "deserve" it I ask myself what that really means. Do I deserve to die? Do I deserve to debase and degrade myself, ruin my family life, spend the rest of my days in an unhappy haze?

NOPE! I deserve to live and to find joy and I'm determined to do that. THAT is what I deserve, and it's what you deserve, too!