Notices

Hi! 2nd Chance

Old 09-05-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi! 2nd Chance

Hi- I got sober in November of 2011 and stayed sober for 2+ years. I attended AA regularly for 18 months but stopped going when my daughter got sick- After awhile of dealing with that and staying sober without AA - I gave up and relapsed. I have been drinking moderately on and off for the past year. This summer I really "upped my game" and was putting down a pint of vodka almost daily. When I decided last weekend that it was time to stop - I was scared to death... My drinking was never that heavy and I had no idea if I would experience withdrawal symptoms. Fortunately, the withdrawal was mild- I was a little shaky for the first 2 days with a mild headache, and I had night sweats for the first 4 days. I am currently on day 6. I found this site while googling alcohol withdrawal symptoms and thought I would join, as I am not sure how I feel about AA anymore. It is my daughter's senior year and I want to remain clear headed and be present to take in every moment, but I already find my warped thinking telling me that if I didn't have a bad withdrawal- I must not be that bad! My husband, who has always been supportive, was getting pretty angry when he suspected my drinking episodes over the summer, but he has no idea how bad it had gotten. He went to al-anon for awhile when I first got sober so says very little about it- bc he knows he has no control over me or the disease. Going to a big picnic tomorrow that I am a little worried about. There will be a few ppl there who know I don't drink, but that doesn't mean I won't be inclined to sneak and spike my vitamin water with vodka. That is where I am at- Thank you for listening!
Old 09-05-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome emtgdy1

I think everyone here has heard that voice telling us we weren't that bad...but I think everyone one of us knows the truth.

SR really helped me to focus on my recovery and ignore the rationalisation to return to drinking.

I know we can help you too

D
Old 09-05-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

emtgdy1 Glad you found SR you'll find some interesting info here . Welcome As for you * thinking* your drinking isn't or wasn't that bad . If it was affecting your Hubby to the point of needing to go to al-anon that's a red flag - that it was ?
Old 09-05-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

I hope your sober days in the fellowship can remind you of what you need to do. In my slipping and sliding I felt huge shame which often prevented me from KEEP COMING.

My requirements when I became sick and tired of being sick and tired was being honest with MYSELF about my drinking AND accepting I can no longer drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Then the actions needed to kick in for recovery as wishy washy thinking and thinking does not fill the void of alcohol built.

BE WELL
Old 09-05-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why are you unsure about AA if it worked for you in the past?
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you're here. Congratulations on day 6.

I relapsed after 10.5 months when other things took priority over sobriety and I drank to squash the pain I was feeling. I had stopped going to AA meetings and stopped reaching out for support.

When I got sober again I went back to AA and started posting on here. I started reaching out when things were rough so that I didn't reach for a drink. It's really been helpful and I've now gotten 21 months.

My withdrawal wasn't that hard the second time around but that was good fortune and not a sign my drinking wasn't out of hand.

Stick around. We're here for support
Old 09-05-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee Said: I think everyone here has heard that voice telling us we weren't that bad...but I think everyone one of us knows the truth.

...that's a handy piece of advice right there. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Emtgdy!!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you emtgdy. It helps to know we're not alone with the struggle. We all understand what you're going through. Well done on Day 6.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank You everyone. Made it through another day sober. Waking up feeling rejuvenated after a good nights sleep is my favorite thing about sobriety. Last week when I woke up - although I didn't feel hung over- I felt tired and lethargic and my face was so puffy and I just looked like crap!
I intend to give AA another shot (no pun intended). It did indeed work for me in the past, but my willingness to be open minded was far greater the first time around in 2011. I guess my hesitation is that there are a few people who I know that drank even more than I ever did- that now drink normally. It really screws with my thinking. I started really feeling brainwashed... On the other hand... I can't dismiss the obvious- That when I went to meetings regularly and was focused on my sobriety - I stayed sober and I was happier! Have a great holiday weekend and thanks for listening and welcoming me to the group!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Don't let your ego (AV) pull that comparison trip on you. The ego loves to mess us up by comparing, judging, criticizing and basically telling us stories based on the faulty perceptions that got us into trouble in the first place. The reality is you have no idea what is really going on with other people, or the stories their ego is telling them.. and you.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I read an article that talked about how the brain damage that alcoholics get actually does impair the part of their brain responsible for perceptions and emotional control. I guess the point was that our false perceptions of ourselves and the beliefs of those around us (those judging us) aren't just based in psychology but can have a physiological foundation. That we even can misjudge facial queues (spelling?) as well. Example, somone could simply be looking in our direction and we think they're judging us...or something along those lines. Sorry I don't have the actual article. Just intereting.
I don't think I can evaluate enough, in early sobriety, the distorted nature of my thinking...especially in relation to my self understanding and perception. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I totally agree Frick.

DD
Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Welcome emtgdy1

I recommend you stick close to these forums and post often. Maybe join the September class? AA's not the only way, though it helps a lot of people. The important thing is that you don't drink and keep your communication open.

I hope that once you have a little more time under your belt, you talk to your husband.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Made it through the weekend! Day 8 looking bright!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations emtgdy1 on a week +
Old 09-08-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on your week

D
Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter