Notices

Don't give up

Old 09-05-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't give up

I just realized that yesterday I had 1000 days sober. I am not posting this for congratulations but for others who are struggling to see it can be done. I posted quite recently a fairly lengthy post which I won't bore you all with again

I stopped using SR frequently some months ago, just checking in very occasionally. Until last month when I felt, whilst my life was good, I had some uncertainty and some issues. Last weekend I had a really bad weekend. Emotionally it was very difficult and I faced some difficult choices. At one point the thought crossed my mind that I wanted a drink. But it was a fleeting thought.

Early in sobriety the thoughts were frequent and difficult but I learned to deal with them ( SR, AVRT, changes of habit, urge surfing) Over time they do reduce but they do pop and up now and again,particularly in times of stress. I've learned that life is life, bad things happen, stress happens but it's how I deal with it that matters. I didn't drink and kept telling myself that the bad day would end, the thoughts would ease and I would work through my problems.

It worked. By Tuesday I felt a little better and now I feel much better. I have spoken to the person concerned and been honest with my feelings. We have talked through the situation and I accept that I can only deal with what I can deal with. What other people do and say is not my business and I have no control over it.

In my drinking days I would have got drunk, got angry, had built up resentment, lashed out verbally, made a fool of myself and then hated myself and still not solved anything. I know not everything can be solved but it can be lived with and have a return to peace of mind.

The most important thing I have now sober is serenity and peace of mind. I can deal with problems head on, as difficult as they are. I have also learned to take a step back and think before dealing with things.

I don't post much on Newcomers but do read. For those struggling it does get better, The intense thoughts you have one night of drinking will ease, just find whatever you need to get you through them - post and read on SR, AVRT,a meeting, urge surfing. That does get easier in time - the more you do it easier it gets.It may seem as though the feelings will never go but they do. It's also really important not to put yourself in situations where you will struggle. It is ok to say no to drinking invitations. Putting yourself and your sobriety first is not selfish - it is essential.

Happy Sober Saturday
Old 09-05-2015, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through the rough weekend RAL.
Congrats on 100 days!

D
Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear ReadyAtLast

Thank you for your post, and I will say congrats on your 1,000 days!

What you describe as how you dealt with problems whilst drinking is exactly the same as me, I am still in the place where I am going over everything many times a day and it helps to learn that it won't always be this way. I am still in the place where I would walk over hot coals not to have hurt the person that I did, and to know that mental freedom from that will come with time is a God send.

Thank you

K8
Old 09-05-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. This weekend has certainly gotten off to a better start and the sun is shining too
Old 09-05-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on a thousand days
Old 09-05-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K8Fazz View Post
Dear ReadyAtLast

Thank you for your post, and I will say congrats on your 1,000 days!

What you describe as how you dealt with problems whilst drinking is exactly the same as me, I am still in the place where I am going over everything many times a day and it helps to learn that it won't always be this way. I am still in the place where I would walk over hot coals not to have hurt the person that I did, and to know that mental freedom from that will come with time is a God send.

Thank you

K8
thanks K8Fazz. the guilt will ease in time but it is important that you learn to forgive yourself. You can't change the past, but by not drinking you can ensure you don't make the same mistakes again
Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post. Just what I needed to hear this AM. I want what you have!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, 1000 days is awesome! Congrats, and thank you for the inspiring post!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1000 Days is fantastic!!