Child Support

Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Child Support

Hi everyone

My ex and I have been legally separated since July 2012. We have two kids together, aged 4 and 5. My ex continues to drink and is unable to hold down a job for longer than a week. He then cashes his cheque and goes on a major bender.

Just wondering how I could possibly obtain some financial help from him. I work two part time retail positions even though I am now a trained RN because it is so hard to find work as an RN these days. I cry almost everyday because I can't make ends meet. I'm very young (25) and I'm depressed.

My car is beyond repair and I've had to purchase a new one which is going to cost me more than my old payment. I am freaking out over this because I literally have no room in my budget. My parents are helpful but also not in the best position financially. I am so afraid for the kids birthdays and Christmas which are both coming up.

Any suggestions? I live in Ontario.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know about the law in Ontario, but here you would definitely be entitled to support. If your ex isn't working he would have income "imputed" to him--he'd have to pay what he's capable of earning. Of course, collecting it could be a different matter--but here people can get thrown in jail until they pay up support that is owed.

If you can't afford a lawyer, you might qualify for some kind of free legal assistance, or the court probably has forms you could file yourself.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where I am from (Illinois) if a person has a child support obligation, monies coming in from such things such as tax refunds and unemployment benefits can be intercepted and put towards the obligation. If he keeps changing jobs or gets a cash job, though, it might be hard for an agency to keep up with him....
Old 09-05-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Skarlet, what an irresponsible person he is, leaving you alone to care for the family.
I suggest you research free legal help online - or a charitable organisation like the Salvation Army might be able to arrange it. Another source would be your social security agency; they could possibly also advise on extra or hardship payments.

There will be resources out there for you, but you may have to look around to find them. Having worked for the Salvos here in Australia, I can recommend them as a starting point. They're lovely, and they don't force feed the religious angle.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Broken Heart of Gold

Hello...I'm also in Ontario. Unfortunately I'm getting well-versed in this subject :/

You need to fill out a few forms & take them to the courthouse. You may also qualify for Legal Aid. There should be a FLIC (family law info clinic) in your city that you can also take advantage of. They can assist with the forms & you don't need a lawyer - you would be represented by duty counsel in court. FRO is the governing body that enforces child support payments (Family Responsibility Ontario).

I'll try to dig up some links for you & send you a PM later this weekend. In the mean time, feel free to send me a PM if you have questions, or just need to vent.

The good news is you're going through a rough patch now...but once you find a job & get support from him, things will be so much better. Hugs!!!
Old 09-05-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no matter what legal avenues you pursue, if he doesn't HAVE any money, you can't GET any money from him. if he is only sporadically employed and spends that $42.37 on booze, there is no support available.

i'd suggest looking into other sources of support that might be available....
Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
no matter what legal avenues you pursue, if he doesn't HAVE any money, you can't GET any money from him. if he is only sporadically employed and spends that $42.37 on booze, there is no support available.

i'd suggest looking into other sources of support that might be available....
No reason not to do both. I wouldn't let him off the hook for supporting his kids, but recognizing that orders don't always translate into money in your pocket, other kinds of assistance can keep the wolf from the door in the meantime.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what it is like where you live, but here in Australia child support is determined by a persons income.
Because my husband doesn't have a job, I only get $30/ month from him.
So be prepared for it not being a lot!
You could look into some family support services in your area.
Sorry you are in that situation, it sounds so tough and it sounds like you are doing an amazing job.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure how the system works in Ontario.

My GF is dealing with this with her A father to her child (not married and never have been). He hasn't paid a penny of child support in two years. She already had an Order from the court for established support in 2009. Took him back to Court for contempt this month.

Here's what the Judge said "Get a job, pay your support, or go to jail". He has started to make payments.