Advice re talking to son!

Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice re talking to son!

Just looking for advice on talking to my 18 year old son. Am moving closer to being done emotionally with my AH and moving out. However, I honestly don't have a specific date or plan at this point. Finances are a huge problem and is something I really need to think through and be prepared for. Just wondering if giving my son a heads up is a good idea? Or will that just cause him unnecessary stress when I have no specifics as yet? He just graduated and is taking a year to work before heading to College next fall. AH is his stepdad but has been since age 4.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My own opinion is that it shouldn't be his burden. If you're in an emotionally strained relationship with your husband, your son probably already knows.

Also, if your finances are strained and you have no specific plan of attack for income, your son may feel guilt tripped into staying with you for longer than he would like in order to aid you financially. As a child who was raised by an alcoholic father, he's already got enough risk of being a codie as he gets older. He's almost of an age where he's ready to go out and make his own way in the world, and adult men who still live with their mothers are more often than not looked down upon, by men and women alike.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Thomas for your thoughts. I really do not want to make it his burden. Was more thinking on if he needed the heads up to adjust. However, you are right that he is well aware of the issues. I also do not want him to feel guilt and the need to not live his life to take care of me.