Notices

Withdrawel

Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawel

Hey im a 23 yr old male who is trying to quit after years of binge drinking ....are there any legit ways to deal with withdrawel?
Im currently trying to take several vitamins as well as admitting i have a problem it seems i cant go pass 3 days without drinking because i feel like im going insane, to an extend even suicidal at times. Iv been trying to quit for several months now with no succes ...any tips you guys recommend? Would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

3m. Welcome. You are in a good place w SR.

If you have had 0 luck tapering...everyone is going to say you need a Dr.

If you are in dire straights....please call 911...

I can relate to feeling insane from withdrawals, but I don't know how your feeling is compared to mine....we are all different.

But, for me, I learned this feeling was a normal one for a drunk going through detox...SR taught me....

Suicide is not the answer.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My usual mantra....I ate healthy food, drank lots of water, good juices, and gatorade, sleep, sleep, repeat...my body needed healing...

After about 2 weeks...I was clean...then came the anxiety...
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tips. Hmm. I also was a binger, though almost exclusively the weekend warrior variety. In that respect, I'm lucky, booze never grabbed me physically. My issue has become opiates. They have grabbed ahold. But, six of one, half dozen of the other, the concept and cravings are similar. One big tip....change your behavior habits. If you commonly do "x" and associate it with having 1 or 57 drinks, either quit doing "x" or change the timing. For example, watching college football on Saturdays was an enormous trigger for me to drink. After my fourth DUI, I said, 'k, I'm stubborn and stupid, but I'm finally done now.' So, regardless of how much I love college football, I quit watching it until I could do so, AND enjoy it, without a beer. I also kicked up my exercise routine substantially, adding exercises to the dumb bell routines and, as much as I generally loathe it, bumping up the cardio to include jogging, stairs and wind sprints. So, in general, one of the more helpful techniques for me...altering my daily, weekly and monthly routines. It's only one leg to the chair, but it's an important one in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1.) Keep your body temperature cool. It'll help. Your liver regulates your body temperature, and it will be raised during detox.

2.) Eats lots of healthy food, and importantly, eat one large healthy meal with lots of greens the night before you detox, otherwise you may not be able to hold food down for several days.

3.) Sleep as much as you can. Worry about life later, after your body rejuvenates a little.

4.) Take lots of showers to keep you healthy, plus your pores open.

5.) Ensure you're getting a decent dose of vitamin B12.

6.) If you feel like you're losing your grasp on reality, get yourself to an ER. This isn't something you want to mess with.

7.) Hang in there, as it does get better, and quite quickly as well. Minor withdrawals will still be there for quite a while, but major withdrawals generally dissipate quite quickly.

8.) If you're on any prescription meds, talk to your doctor before you decide to quit cold turkey, as there could be adverse reactions.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hi there.

I'd recommend speaking with a healthcare professional honestly about what you're going through. They can help A LOT more than I can offer advice on.

There were many times I "self-detoxed" and looking back, I wish I had sought professional help with the process. They know their stuff and can make this a lot more comfortable and easier than doing it alone.

All the best.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking because detoxing can be dangerous. It would be especially important to talk to your dr if you're feeling suicidal.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My weak time is at night when I can't sleep so I went to the doctor and got some ambien. It helps me sleep and keeps me from drinking.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the forum, I hope you will stick around. I am so sorry for the pain and mess you are dealing with. I definitely second, third, forth seeing a doctor. What you are dealing with sounds horrible, and although common, it is always best to seek professional help.
I will tell you that for me day 3 has always been the worst. It seems like the toughest day to get through.
In addition to seeing your doctor who might be able to prescribe medications to help with withdrawals, I would also recommend everything that Tory suggested. Try to rest as much as possible, eat as healthy as you can, take your vitamins and if you are able, get out for some exercise to sweat it out. Even just a slow, steady walk will do the body good.
If you are feeling suicidal, please call someone. Chat with someone here or call a helpline, better yet, get to the ER.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome 3m3rz0n

Others withdrawal experiences are shared here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

you can't beat a Dr tho if you're concerned - and especially if you feel like you're suicidal.

There is some reading and some crisis lines here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html
D
Old 09-03-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3m3rz0n View Post
Hey im a 23 yr old male who is trying to quit after years of binge drinking ....are there any legit ways to deal with withdrawel?
Im currently trying to take several vitamins as well as admitting i have a problem it seems i cant go pass 3 days without drinking because i feel like im going insane, to an extend even suicidal at times. Iv been trying to quit for several months now with no succes ...any tips you guys recommend? Would be greatly appreciated.
Click my username and read my first few post. As a young man the addiction for me and day 3 has been hard. Exerxise instead of drinking and simply choosing not to dir from the high BP and no sleep is what helped me. Just dont go the liquor store. The withdrawls last a week is all. I promise.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome 3m
Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum 3m3rz0n!!