Notices

I attended my 1st A.A. meeting

Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I attended my 1st A.A. meeting

I use to get asked a lot about what helped me as I got sober. I went through the withdrawal process on my own. When I stopped drinking I didn't know about that dangers that could happen. I use this site more than anything else, when I first got sober. I always heard about A.A. meetings, but I never wanted to go.

Now, at 4 years sober, I'm in school to become an Addiction Counselor. I was given an assignment this week to attend an A.A. or N.A. meeting. Before I got to the meeting, I had decided I would let them all know that I was a student and was only there to observe. Everyone in the room was fine with me being there and everyone was very welcoming. I spoke a little about myself and then I listened as these people tell their stories. During the meeting I was given a 4 year chip from them. It was a very nice gesture and made me feel proud of myself, that I've made it this far.

I think as I get farther into recovery, I forget about the struggle I went through and the struggle that so many are currently going through. I can definitely see myself attending more meetings in the future. I hope to learn as much as possible and lend a helping hand to others in the process.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 4 fabulous years BigGuySlim
Old 09-03-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your career choice sounds like a good one.