Just a thought I haven't been able to get rid of.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thought I haven't been able to get rid of.

Hey there!
Everything's been going fine this days. I have been practicing/learning some french, and college is getting more and more interesting as each day passes by.
However, I wanted to share something with you today. I wanted to be honest about a thought I haven't been able to get rid of.
The day ex bf dumped me, he asked me what I thought love was about.
I told him that I thought that love meant loyalty, honesty, and the capacity to have empathy for another, and work towards the goal to maintaining these things together. He then said that I didn't knew what love was, but that I thought I knew.

That was 4 months ago. Now I know and I'm now able to admit that he isn't like the best at love or anything... But I often wonder if he wasn't at least a little correct about that?

I have seen others post about their ideas of love these days, so I just wanted to share this. Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like very much your ideas about what love means, TTH! Please don't let anything this guy said to you get to you. He clearly got a kick out of trying to make you feel insecure. It was probably a way of trying to maintain his hold on you.

Good for you for enjoying and throwing yourself into school! That is a great path to be going down and will lead to good things!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timetoheal12 View Post
Hey there!
Everything's been going fine this days. I have been practicing/learning some french, and college is getting more and more interesting as each day passes by.
However, I wanted to share something with you today. I wanted to be honest about a thought I haven't been able to get rid of.
The day ex bf dumped me, he asked me what I thought love was about.
I told him that I thought that love meant loyalty, honesty, and the capacity to have empathy for another, and work towards the goal to maintaining these things together. He then said that I didn't knew what love was, but that I thought I knew.

That was 4 months ago. Now I know and I'm now able to admit that he isn't like the best at love or anything... But I often wonder if he wasn't at least a little correct about that?

I have seen others post about their ideas of love these days, so I just wanted to share this. Thoughts?
Sorry but someone who judges someone else for what they think about love, and where they are with their understanding,
isn't practicing love to the fullest either!

I hope you see the amusing irony in this.
Like a teenager trying to one up the parent and say you don't know what you're talking about! As if the kid knows better?

We are all learning. Someone who really understands love would be embracing and including you, not comparing and rejecting.

Ah me.

If I can recall the top answers I have posted on ***** about what is love, I think it went like this

1. Immature love says I love you because I need you;
mature love says I need you because I love you.

2. you like someone "because"
you love someone "although"

3. to love is to understand

to put someone else's well being and happiness above your own

to love is to want someone to be happy, healthy and satisfied in life

4. to love our neighbor means to "care for someone's soul."

so to love our neighbor as ourselves does not mean we have to personally LIKE each other at all. we can detest someone totally, hate their personality or being around them and everything about them, even protest the wrongs someone does, and yet still "care for their soul" that they solve their problems and avoid causing further suffering to themselves and others so they do better in life.

5. love is sufficient unto love, love is shared for lovesake in itself, and not for anything in return. the greatest love of all is CHARITY and the greatest act of charity is Forgiveness, which is more valuable the less it is deserved

I can't remember everything, but those are the more common things I would share whenever this question came up on ***** answers. if you search you can find it asked multiple times, very popular topic!