Notices

Dignity

Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dignity

I was listening to the radio and there was a religious station. (I am not very religous).
Anyway they were talking about dignity and prisoners that recently got released from prison. The prisoners were going to their communities trying to teach children not to make the same mistakes. They are looked upon lowly and not respected because they have committed crimes. I thought i could relate to this with addiction. Whether its others treating us as inferior for our flaws and/or us imprisoning ourselves in our own minds. Anyways the moral of the story was dignity is not something anyone can give you. We can only give it to ourselves. I jusy wanted to share it because i think many people can relate.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post Letitgo
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, but something I was thinking about yesterday to add to this.

I'm beginning to believe that some of those who treat others as inferior to them, because of our weakness's or flaws....see themselves in our reflection. It makes them feel better to believe WE had the problem and it couldn't be an issue for them.

My decision to not drink is about me, and me only....but I can tell you, I wasn't the only one of my circle of "friends" who drank way too much and drank at home alone.

And though I refuse to allow them to make me feel inferior for my "flaw"....I recognized it, am doing something about it and will only look forward to the future, and spend time with people who fill my heart with joy.

The past, I cannot change. It is what it is and whats done is done. I've wallowed in my inferiority and flaws for about 30 years straight (well, consecutively is what I mean by straight....I was always drunk and/or hungover"!), so I've done my "time". I have to forgive myself and move forward now.

Dignity, courage, and humility is something I think that each and everyone on SR has, even if they don't see or feel it right now.........just by being here recognizing we need help, fighting for it every day, and supporting others in need makes all of you so special and strong. Don't ever give up or let others dictate who or what you should be.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice post!!