Book Thread: What are you reading?

Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book Thread: What are you reading?

We haven't had a book thread in a while & I'm always on the hunt for more recommendations, so share away!

I'm talking about all kinds of reading - recovery/non recovery, fiction, biography (love a good bio!!), motivational - whatever.....

I just finished "What I Know Now, Letters to my Younger Self" by Ellyn Spragins, which I actually posted about in a separate thread.

Also, "The Bookseller", by Cynthia Swanson. I loved it, a great light fiction that let me escape but still with enough intelligence that I stayed interested.

I'm in the middle of reading "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown & it is FANTASTIC! There are SO many great points in this book that I can't begin to share - it really is a Must-Read & now I can't wait to tackle her other books.

I'm still working through "Is It You, Me or Adult ADD?" by Gina Pera - super helpful in understanding undiagnosed ADHD in adults & I've already recommended it to 3 others IRL that I think will benefit from it.

I made a note about Lexi's friend's book coming out soon - "The Art of Crash Landing," by Melissa DeCarlo.

I'm cheating by listening to books on audio while I walk sometimes & often in the car during my long daily commutes too. It's been a great way to get more reading time in!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ooh yay!

I'm currently reading The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard, which I am enjoying despite the fact that his female characters aren't nearly as interesting as much as his male ones, but the book I really really REALLY want to recommend to everyone is DIETLAND, by Sarai Walker.

It's like a feminist Fight Club, and hits pretty hard. Not for the faint of heart. It's challenging, but asks SO many questions that should be being asked right now!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am spending TONS of time in a car these days and will be using this thread to make some choices for listening materials...

Seriously, some of these routes I'm doing have 300-400 miles of driving per day! I could listen to freaking "War and Peace" in a few days...

My recommendation is actually for something I read a few years ago and recently found at a Goodwill, "Acts of Faith" by Philip Caputo. I need to find more of his stuff b/c I thought this book was phenomenal.

Thanks in advance to all of you who are going to make the next several weeks on the road so much more bearable!!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HP - I've also gotten a couple of George Carlin's books on audio - he's a personal fave so while I know others might consider him vulgar, I find myself LOL listening to him in gridlock traffic.... much better than road rage! Caputo sounds familiar.... I'll check into his stuff.

It's like a feminist Fight Club, and hits pretty hard.
Interesting!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

11.22.63 by Stephen King - loving it. I've been doing books on tape during my 40 minute commute time every day. Finished the Wright Brothers by David McCoullagh - SO INSPIRING!!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've just finished "finding me" by Michelle knight, she was kidnapped for 11 years. It's sad but very good if you like that sort of thing x
Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WHAT???!!?? Nobody else is reading these days!?

I don't believe that for a second, Our last thread went on for about 4 pages!

~bumping~
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just started "Girl on the Train". A co-worker said if I liked Gone Girl, I'd like that one. We'll see.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just finished "Girl on the Train." I did not think it compares to Gone Girl, but it was pretty good. I am not sure what I am going to read next, so bring on the suggestions!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I just finished "Girl on the Train." I did not think it compares to Gone Girl, but it was pretty good. I am not sure what I am going to read next, so bring on the suggestions!
Ok, good to know! So... the same co-worker said I would also like "Luckiest Girl Alive" a novel by Jessica Knoll. I ordered it, too!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I added "The Te of Piglet" to my list again because I realized I never read it once it arrived - I had a bunch of books in that shipment & probably forgot or wasn't in the mood for that kind of reading.

I finished Daring Greatly this morning & even if I'm irritating you all, I'm going to plug it AGAIN. I think every single person can get something out of this book.... I knew that *I* would, but I completely underestimated how much. Seriously one of the BEST books I've read in a long time & I would say most of her principals fit in well with a person living a recovered life. I cannot say enough about it, but is speaks volumes that the 1st thing I did after finishing it was seek out her other books & new videos of hers I haven't seen before.

I'll also share these resources - thriftbooks.com - amazing prices for books & free shipping for most orders & they email me deals all the time. I love that they let you keep a wish list & if something is out of stock, they'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

Also for any e-readers out there, Bookbub.com is fantastic for cheap & even free books for your devices. I get a daily email with daily deals based on the categories I have checked off on my profile. Great resource for all kinds of stuff from recipe books to fiction.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm planning on starting "healing for damaged emotions" (don't recall author) and "the screwtape letters" by CS Lewis.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The last two books I read were Boys In The Boat and The Alienist. My next read is going to be The Monopolists.

The first is the story about the crew team at the University of Washington that eventually went to the 1936 Berlin Olympics. The book is a study of what life was like for the rowers, especially the one around whom the book is centered, a rower named Joe Rantz. They became teenagers and attended college during the Great Depression, and just piecing together enough money to attend college - and eat - was a struggle for most of them.

At the same time, the book also contrasts what the Washington rowers went through with what was going on with the rise of Nazi Germany at the same time. It ends with a great description of the gold medal race, a larger message about what it took to bring down Nazi Germany and then a rundown of what happened to each rower for the rest of their lives.

The second book is historical fiction about a team of investigators' attempt to identify and capture a serial murderer in the late 1890's by employing techniques that were previously not known. It's an interesting read and story albeit a bit wordy. That said it goes fast.

My next read is about the true story of how the board game Monopoly came to be. It seems Hasboro employed some revisionist history when describing the sequence of events, but since I yet haven't started the book I can't comment on it in any depth.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The last two books I read were "Beaten, Seared and Sauced" by Jonathan Dixon and "Deadliest Sea" by Kalee Thompson. I'd definitely recommend the later - best (true) sea rescue story I've read. I have a new respect for our Coast Guard.

I read "Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine and the Miracle That Set Them Free" by Hector Tobar a few months ago and I really, really liked it.

Another book I read early this year that I loved was "The Martian" by Andy Weir. I normally turn away as soon as I see the library's science fiction sticker on the book binding but this one grabbed me. I tend to like survival stories I guess and this one was really well done. You might have seen the trailers in the theater - the film version is coming soon.

I've just started "The Terrible Privacy of Maxell Sim." Too early to tell.

Oh! My 8 year old son, XAH and I just finished reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (#4 in the series) and are now 4 chapters into "Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library" by Chris Grabenstein and we are all loving it!

Happy Reading!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guava View Post
Oh! My 8 year old son, XAH and I just finished reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (#4 in the series.) and are now 4 chapters into "Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library" by Chris Grabenstein and we are all loving it!
DD is also reading GOF right now, she started the series last year but stopped so that she can use the points for AR testing at school this year. ({eyeroll} don't get me started on the AR program - she'd read 10x more if she didn't always have to weight the level & points into her choices.... over the summer I insist that she readreadreadreadreadread anything that DOESN'T qualify for AR - fun, fluff!)
Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
don't get me started on the AR program
I hear ya! We do A/R tests too. It can be frustrating trying to fit his reading interest into their A/R quota. He reads a lot but not all books have a quiz or they aren't on the right "level." Also some teachers count only independent reading. He, XAH and I still enjoy reading together 4-5 times a week. We all take turns and I would hate to give that up just to meet some statistical quota, you know?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm on a history kick lately. I've just started The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan, which is about the women working at Oak Ridge, Tennessee, during WWII at what becomes known after the war as the Manhattan Project.

I'm finishing up The Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang and The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

There had been/is quite a debate about whether Dowager Empress Cixi was instrumental in the reforms that brought about a modern China or if she was a despot trying to oppose modernization. The biography about Cixi details her rule from being one of many concubines to being the empress dowager that ruled from behind the thrones of her son and then her nephew. During her reign, foot-binding was abolished, China built up new industries, railways, electricity, and she started working towards women's liberation.

The Bully Pulpit goes over the lives of Teddy Roosevelt and William Taft from their early upbringing through their campaign for the presidential nomination in 1912. It's an amazing look into their lives and approaches to reform and political careers.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am in the same AR boat...grrrrr......
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm reading A Game of Thrones (first book in the series). I was on a re-read of The Dark Tower (I got on a regular Stephen King kick for a while, there), but really enjoying this (along with the show, which I'm catching up with).
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello,

I am re-reading Ragtime by EL Doctorow. It is just incredible how he scored the plot like music to me. I found my copy in my basement box of classics and popped it out as he just died recently.

I'm also committed on Absalom, Absalom. I've had the darn copy for years and Faulkner's prose is so freakin' dense it puts me to sleep after 2-4 pages. I am pushing through with the help of some online chapter summaries as I keep getting lost in his endless sentences! So I'll be in Yoknapatawpha County for awhile yet.

Last week I read Hemingway's To Have and Have Not. Not his best. It was a break from Faulkner prose for sure!