Notices

Who am I?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I know it's spelled Tabasco

Who am I?

Good morning everyone,

Today is going to be the beginning to an end. Last night was and WILL be my last night of drinking, but I know it will be hard. Why you ask? Because my husband is an alcoholic also and he's not as strong. Everytime I've tried to quit drinking in the past he would bring home a bottle (big bottle) of wine and I will say "scew it I will stop tomorrow ".

Alcohol has been a problem of mine for 5.5 years now. It's gotten so bad I'm destroying friendships and my reputation with family members because I'm one of those "lovey dovey" type of drunk that likes to text or call people to tell them how great I think they are or how much I miss them...I would be annoyed if I was receiving those texts or calls.

The reason I feel like I'm stronger than my husband with this is because I've been pregnant twice in the past 5.5 years and was able to stop drinking before the pregnancy test dried as it was so easy to quit knowing I had a wonderful growing being inside of me that needs me to be healthy but as soon I give birth and heal from the delivery I start right back up all over again (don't worry I didn't or should I say couldn't breastfeed so baby never got unhealthy milk--formula baby).
I'm 5 months postpartum and depressed about the extra weight I gained from pregnancy and drink my depression away. I talked to my gynecologist about having panic attacks that could be associated with postpartum but I'm been suffering with attacks for a few years so he put me on a anti-depressant and when I found myself googling "what's the safe amount to drink while on such and such medication..." I knew I was in denial about my drinking problem. My first time admitting I HAVE A PROBLEM AND NEED HELP.

I know my personality pretty well and when I become a part of a forum and chat with people then I get hooked to the forum and it's my NEW addiction to replace an old one. You know what? I rather have an addiction to a forum than to alcohol. With that said, I will hold myself more accountable for my drinking and writing my promises to quit on this forum will help me stay motivated--I hate breaking promises that people know I've made.

I promise starting RIGHT NOW I will stop drinking to be the best mom possible and gradual help my husband in this struggle to quit.

Thank you all, I'm ready!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tabasco
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great Decision
Old 09-01-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, let me point out something. My stupid iPhone corrector change the spelling from Tabasco to TObasco and before I noticed it I had already submitted.

Now I get to look like an idiot. Is there a way to edit my screen name?

With all the problems im dealing with I don't want the spelling of my recovery name to be wrong lol
😂😂😂 lmao
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looks like the spelling's been changed for you anyway.

Welcome to the site. One thing I'll say is that you can't really help your OH get sober - that's HIS job. Anyway - we all have enough on our hands with our own recoveries!!

I have found AA to be an invaluable source of support, guidance and information as well as this site. I also live with someone who drinks heavily, so it's often a big relief to go to a meeting and get away from all of that.

Books I have found useful have been 'Living Sober' and 'Monkey on my Shoulder'. As many of us have found, it's one thing stopping drinking. It's another thing altogether learning to live happily and serenely without the crutch alcohol.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Your tagline under your name made me laugh; I thought it was funny.
I think if you try send a message to one of the moderators they may be able to fix it. That's how I changed my name.

Welcome to SR! You'll learn a lot here.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome to (in)sanity!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Tobasco. You'll find a lot of support and those who understand here. Many of us know exactly how you feel as we've been there before in our own battles with addiction so you are among friends. If you want to change your username you can send a PM message to the forum administrators and they can take care of it for you.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your support (and for help with the spelling situation...I will PM an administrator) I'm so grateful to have found this forum while researching local AA support groups in my area.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Tabasco-

Welcome to SR, and it's great to meet you.

As we all are addictive personalities, I get what you are saying about perhaps being on this site a lot. I certainly am, and it has saved me! The support has been amazing. 110 days sober today. And, your story sounds a lot like mine.

Welcome aboard, I wish you all the best.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Tabasco. Good to have you with us. You've found a great community with a ton of support.

You won't regret the decision to give up drinking. It is a hard road, but definitely achievable and worth every ounce of effort you put in.

It's going to be a little tough with your husband drinking. I know because I quit and my wife still drinks heavily. I finally realized I can't wait for her to quit, I can only control me.

You can do this.

It helped me early on to read as many old threads and posts here as well as join the monthly class.

Welcome and don't drink today. Tomorrow will be better if you just don't drink today!

Lean on us as much as you need.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Glad you found SR Tobasco I in a somewhat similar situation , on being involved in a 4 year relationship with an alcoholic . Only thing difference is we don't live together . I'm still holding onto hope he will - Get that wake up call
We have to work on ourselves first . I learnt that here . I wasn't following through with my Boundaries I set . I kept wondering why he was braking them . Cause I was letting him !! Welcome .
* We can do it one day at a time*
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Welcome Tabasco. Good to have you with us. You've found a great community with a ton of support.

You won't regret the decision to give up drinking. It is a hard road, but definitely achievable and worth every ounce of effort you put in.

It's going to be a little tough with your husband drinking. I know because I quit and my wife still drinks heavily. I finally realized I can't wait for her to quit, I can only control me.

You can do this.

It helped me early on to read as many old threads and posts here as well as join the monthly class.

Welcome and don't drink today. Tomorrow will be better if you just don't drink today!

Lean on us as much as you need.
It's encouraging to read that you're able to stay sober while your spouse still drinks. That helps me to believe I, too, can stay sober regardless of what my husband does.

Thank you for sharing
Old 09-01-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Haha - I'm having a spelling crisis as well. I thought Tobasco was correct. Of course it's Tabasco. And that's reminded me of the gorgeous fabric I saw that I'd love to make a dress from that I was trying to forget about. Look ...

Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there Tobasco, hope you're day goes well. it must be so hard living with s drinker, I don't know if I would be able to stop in those circumstances!!! you're strong!!!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tobasco- Nice to meet you. My husband is also a alcoholic which has not helped me in getting sober. I am weak when it comes to booze but he is weaker. I am at day 4 of sobriety and last night i could tell he was getting antsy and wanting to drink. I could have gave in but i stuck to my guns. I am afraid he will want to drink soon and it will derail me. I am in AA so i hope that will help me. Good luck!

Last edited by needtostopthis; 09-01-2015 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling as usual.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Tobasco81! Your tagline under your name gave me a chuckle, too. Maybe think about leaving it that way!

My husband is an active alcoholic, too. I had to separate my addiction from his addiction and just focus on me otherwise I never would have quit drinking (9 months today!!!).

I watch him trapped by his addiction. I don't see any happiness, fun or freedom in his drinking and seeing that helps me stay committed to my sober life.

At the same time, I admit to having a strong fantasy life with my sober hubby. But I know that I can't make him sober, that is his road to find on his own.

You will find lots of support and education here at SR!! Good on you for choosing a sober life

Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, T(a)basco81. Congrats on choosing a better way of life and I look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Since I joined SR I've been wondering around looking for - Oh I don't know - A place to fit in ? < Lack of a better word . I'm a slow at typing & my spelling is terrible . Those are minor compared to being or staying Sober with another alcoholic around you in the Mix .
I did notice being here in SR has made me stronger & gave me more tools to deal with that part
Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tobasco / Tabasco -- seems like one of those "potatoe / patatoe" type of things.

Welcome to SR though, and congrats on the decision to quit for good.