Notices

Just another statistic

Old 09-01-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just another statistic

I haven't posted anything lately but I just found out that my first husband died of alcoholic liver disease at the age of fifty two. I divorced him many years ago because he really frightened me when he drank. He was more of a weekend binge drinker when we were first married which was college fraternity behavior that he never outgrew. During our marriage he also became a successful and respected supervising engineer for the city of Los Angeles.

After five years of marriage I decided I wanted children but I knew that my binge drinking workaholic husband was not good father material. I know that sounds cold but children have always been important to me so I eventually filed for divorce. A couple of years later I remarried and raised two fantastic boys in a very loving home. Anyway this evening I googled a few names from my past and that's when I discovered my first husband had become a chronic alcoholic who died from liver disease in May of 2012.

This has hit me very hard because he was a wonderful smart man when wasn't drunk. He graduated from an Ivy League school with both a BS and an MS in mechanical/environmental engineering. He had so much to offer but in the end he drank himself to death. He left behind a beautiful and talented teenage daughter, both his parents and a brother and sister who I am certain were completely devastated by his death.

I wanted to post this story because really good people die from this disease every day and it's such a waste. I've come to believe that the members of SR are an incredibly intelligent, articulate and well educated group of individuals who make the world a better place, so please, please stay sober, stay healthy and be safe.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very sad, Alaskachick. I hope others will heed the warning, too many promising lives are snuffed out before their time by alcohol.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry for your loss Alaskachick
Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss Alaskachick!!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful responses. Posting this has helped me process what happened. Even though my ex was someone from my distant past, I’ve had a tough time wrapping my head around what happened to him. (I didn’t expect the tears that came after I heard the news.) When I knew him he was young, strong and very ambitious. He came from a loving upper class family and was confident and extremely smart. I believed he would do great things with his life. To find out that he was an alcoholic for many years and that he spent his final two years bedridden while drinking himself to death was horrible and shocking. It really brought home to me how merciless and insidious the disease of alcoholism is. Again thanks for all of the kindness and support that you’ve shown me.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry, that's so sad.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

D