Just curious about physical effect of alcohol

Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just curious about physical effect of alcohol

I was thinking today about lots of things including the physical effects alcohol has taken on AH. I assume it's common although I'm not educated on it outside of observation.

Ah doesn't drink daily. Since his teen years he's been a binge drinker. But those binges used to be able to last longer with less recovery time needed in between. Now a days, after one night of drinking, the next day, he has to drink again if he is required to function. He tells me he has to "drink to be straight" whatever that means. If he can't , he will be in bed all day the day after. Sometimes he can put how sick he gets off by drinking one more day but sometimes he can't. So his drinking is usually limited to the weekends. But when he drinks, he puts down enough to kill a normal person. After the sick day in bed with lots of shaking and sweating and the like, he's still off for a few days after. Stomach hurts , can't eat normally etc. is the inability to bounce back after a bender as fast part of the progression of disease?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yes. He is physically dependent on the alcohol, and I know exactly what he means about "drinking to be straight." When you are an alcoholic you only feel "normal" if you have a certain level of alcohol in your system. It is both physical and mental for most people.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

He's trying to avoid a debilitating hangover by topping up. It's only if he can spend the day in bed that he can stop drinking and suffer the consequences, including those that last a few days. It sounds like his body is slowly breaking down and losing it's ability to bounce back.

I suggest you look up the stages of alcoholism on any reputable health website. I'm sure you'll be familiar with a lot of what they describe.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I'm curious to about the physical effects of alcohol too. Upon seeing a photo of my exABf - he's half the size of what he used to Be. He has a beard/goatee to add "fullness" to his face/ that's why I've been posting thread because it knocked my breath out. Couldn't believe it. Don't know if it was dieting, excessive drinking or his substance abuse. But if he is among his enabling buddies, then I question the weight loss greatly. Does kissing weight happen with alcoholism? One thing I learned on SR is if a alcoholic isn't in treatment - he's active - and it's a progressive disease- right?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ps- what is " toppling up?"
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Bernadette777 View Post
Ps- what is " toppling up?"
Keeping the blood alcohol level above a certain point to avoid a hangover or withdrawal symptoms.