Notices

The Basement Flooded

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Basement Flooded

We had about 2 1/2" of rain in about an hour last night. I was doing laundry, opened the door and it was flooded. I went out to the end of the drain line with a shovel and a flashlight. Cleared the end of the drain but it still wouldn't drain out. I got a drain snake out waded into the water, and proceeded to clear the blockage. Finally I managed to get the water to drain out of my basement.
I wrote this because when I was drinking it would still be flooded. I would have been drunk, looked at the flood, felt sorry for myself and passed out. I would have woken up full of dread about going to work tonight. Life sober isn't perfect by a long shot but we do take care of our problems so much better.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very true Stang, in an emergency we can be clear headed and able to function!!

Hope the flooding doesn't cause you too much stress!!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's true, Stang, life really does become more manageable.

I'm glad you could minimize the damage.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry about your basement hopefully not too much was ruined you handled it really well by knowing drinking would only add to the problem

You done good my friend
Old 08-31-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It sure eases my mind a lot that if some sort of crisis were to happen, I'll be able to handle it rather than being either too drunk or hungover.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like you handled it well. I envy you. me i'm still really beligerant about such problems.

Its strange tho Some problems i can handle calmly and just fine but then other things set me off and have me wishing i could get **** drunk instead. I dont get it.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job handling the flood. What a drag though. Hopefully there isn't too much a mess.

Zjw, I have more trouble with urges if it's a problem or situation I can't do much about. Basement flooding? Drain it and clean. Bad news about someone's health? More urges because I can't do anything but accept the things I can't change. It's a process.

Stang, hopefully it stays dry.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on staying sober Stang

I hope your basement joins you quickly in "drying out"
Old 08-31-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I just shared at my home group this past weekend for my seventh year of sobriety. Whenever I share my "story" (which is also posted under the "Stories of Recovery" thread), I talk about my fourth day sober, when a sewer backed into my basement, completely flooding it and destroying prized possessions (like my late mother's wedding dress, childhood toys and memorabilia, etc.). That night, at the end of a nerve-jangling day, and four days almost to the minute from my last drink, there was a knock at my front door and a neighbor placed a cold beer in my hand, saying, "I thought you could use this."

She had no idea I had just quit drinking, nor that I was an alcoholic, and under different circumstances it would have been a nice thing to do. I thought fast, and my first thought was to take it and just pour it down the sink like I had with all the other booze in the house. But something told me it would not be a good idea, and I said, "No thanks, I'm just going to bed, it's been a long day."

Now, at that moment, THAT was when I KNEW I could stay sober--IF I continued to do the next right thing.

Your post just brought back that memory for me. It could have been worse--you could have had sewage in your basement, and you could have drunk over it. Sounds like you made out OK on both fronts.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Life sober isn't perfect by a long shot but we do take care of our problems so much better.

D