Family member passed away

Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family member passed away

Hello all...a family member (cousin) a long time alcoholic passed away this weekend . He had been deceased for four days before he was found.
I have been estranged from him for over 15 years. It was a decision I had made as I could longer watch him go down any longer.
My family of origin are long time functional alcoholics. I love them all dearly. We all have the classic roles of a dysfunctional family and rotate through the various positions and actively participate in triangulating.
I have been in Alanon since December and learned much about my behaviour, habits and codepency issues.
I hoping other members (scapegoats) will share their experiences of how they and their families coped with the death of a family member. What coping strategies did you apply?
Did you even go to the funeral?
Thank you ever so kindly..
Old 08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. I have no advice.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

K- I am so sorry for your loss. It is a horrible disease that our family members, and love ones have. We all understand about detaching as we all have to survive. I don't think our addicts choose to be addicted, as it is a horrible life to live.

If it was me, I would attend the funeral as they are not truly bad people. Just people we could no longer have actively in our lives.

Hugs my friend, and I am so sorry!!