Notices

Slight relapse

Old 08-30-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slight relapse

Well everyone. I'd been off the alcohol since November last year and was doing very well. There were a few occassions where I drank maybe a bottle of white wine, but this was once a week max and I coped quite well.

I'm only 22 so complete abstinence wasn't really the best option for me.

However, my partner and I got together in June and I've become very attached. Long story short, he's back at University and despite my strong trust he won't cheat and we'll be able to work it (I have 3 trips booked for the next 2 months) its caused me great anxiety.

As such, I went out and bought a half bottle of vodka last night. Drank it all. Disgusted. And tonight I'm drinking a bottle of white wine. I won't drink again for another few days at least (I'm *very* strong willed about that)

But how do you deal with the stress? I've been able to do it before without alcohol! All my Doctor does is offer Valium or anti-depressants? Surely there's a better way to cope with stress than Valium! I hate taking them!

Just needed a bit of a rant and some opinions.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by am658 View Post
I'm only 22 so complete abstinence wasn't really the best option for me.
I don't think the solution to the problem should be based on age, if alcohol is causing you problems in your life whether it's at 16 or 60 yrs old, it doesn't matter!!

Things sound like they are spiralling, a bottle of wine a week, now a bottle of vodka last night, a bottle of wine tonight, for me the warning lights would be flashing!!

Stress is not all about medication in my experience, how about exercise, meditation, going for a long walk with some music, for me it also meant better diet, more sleep, less caffeine, more fluids, not putting my body under soo much unnecessary stress, there are other ways!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Drinking doesn't help you "deal" with stress and anxiety....if anything it makes it worse because you are simply running away from it and not dealing with it at all. The best way to deal with stressful situations is to face them head on and solve the issue with the people or problems involved. It sounds as if your current stress is mostly due to some possible distrust of your partner? Perhaps you could discuss it openly so you are both at ease?

Regarding the drinking, downing a whole bottle of vodka at a sitting and following up with a bottle of wine is not "normal" drinking by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you should revisit the idea of abstinence?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^^^^^ I agree.

Diet, exercise, water, sleep have a major role in how our body handles stress. Meditation is a very good skill to learn as well.

Look at it this way....you're 22yrs old and you're learning how to deal with stress. That's young. Take the opportunity to learn other methods besides popping a pill, drinking, or smoking.

If you learn and put into practice healthy ways of dealing with stress now, you'll have a full and happy life ahead of you.

You're asking a very good question and that's awesome that you recognize there must be something besides drugs or alcohol.

I suspect you'll get some great responses. They may seem trivial, but they work. Just like water and diet. So very important. Take your multi vitamins too.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't need to reply publicly but for the sake of being honest, do you think you are addicted to cigarettes and prescription medicines? If so, this is not going help your plan to get sober. What is your plan, by the way?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll echo what others have said. Drugs and alcohol will add to your stress long term. It provides a temporary respite, and then comes back with a vengeance. In any relationship/marriage TRUST has to be strong, that will be the best way to cope with your stress level. Good for you on recognizing the issue at such a young age. It shows maturity. You'll be fine.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have been given some great advice. Alcohol is a depressant. You don't need that in your life. It adds stress. It fixes nothing. Being young is a great time to quit. It will let you become the mature adult you need to be. Good luck, and we are all here for you.