Notices

Sober in California!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober in California!

Hi friends!
Still holding on strong, day 24! And my California adventure began 3 days ago. I'm in sunny San Diego and feeling just amazing. If you want to live a healthy life in this country, I can't imagine a better place to be than here in SoCal. The opportunities for outdoor activities are endless and ALWAYS available due to the perfect weather. I've been out to dinner with my friends/hosts twice already and am finding it surprisingly easy to decline a drink and they're being very supportive of this. And the food here... my god, it's incredible. I have a week and a half to find a job and an apartment out here because I don't think I can go back to Ohio winters ever again. I went for a mile jog on the beach my second day here and although my legs are still screaming from that, I'm going to go hit the bike today and explore Encinitas further than I have on foot. If I could describe my current mood in two words, it would be "Overwhelmingly happy" as opposed to a month and a half ago where it would have been "borderline suicidal." Just wanted to check in and wish everyone the best on their path towards a better life. Keep at it, you've got this!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

California is great, was just there for two weeks. It will be a real shame when they run out of water, and desalination will never solve the problem sadly. I love the weather though so perfect all year round. Great job on getting close to almost a month.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Sounds lovely SoberInOhio Congrats on Day 24
Old 08-29-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good Stuff SIO!!!

I have family near where you live. They just did a week beach camping with the kiddies......Yes, there is much about SoCal that's very enticing - and $$$$$.

Keep checking in and well done on 24 days - That's awesome!!

At almost 15 months sober I am realizing that my serenity is not dependent on external things - people or places. I have to find that balance and harmony within myself and grow where planted.
I need to be cautious of emotional highs and lows - keep the mountain tops and valleys in perspective. I work on it daily and see progress at times, its not immediate gratification like I was use to for sure.

Keep us updated on your progress!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds great SoberInOhio!!

Great job on Day 24!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-29-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
California is great, was just there for two weeks. It will be a real shame when they run out of water, and desalination will never solve the problem sadly. I love the weather though so perfect all year round. Great job on getting close to almost a month.
True. But I think I'm going to try and live here until it runs out. The outdoors are turning into my favorite thing about life and the idea of going back to any place where I'm stuck inside for months on end is devastating.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInOhio View Post

True. But I think I'm going to try and live here until it runs out. The outdoors are turning into my favorite thing about life and the idea of going back to any place where I'm stuck inside for months on end is devastating.
Need any local tips, restaurants, etc just ask me
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 24 days
Old 08-29-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

San Diego is an awesome town. If I could afford to move there, I would. Good luck in your CA adventure!

- your neighbor to the north
Old 08-29-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sounds nice, I wish I could live there.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does sound awesome. I'm in NE Ohio so I feel ya 1000%.

I was recently reading an article where I girl from Germany was refused to enter the U.S. by customs at the PHL airport. She was going to Cleveland. When asked why she's entering the U.S. For so long (couple months), she stated vacation. They said "Nobody goes to Cleveland for vacation."

She was forced to get back in a plane to Germany. The reason used was she had a Facebook exchange with a relative in Ohio that she would babysit for them. Visitors are not a lot to seek for, or to work in the U.S. While on a visa.

Lol. Ohio pretty much blows.

Glad you're having an awesome time!
Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're doing well SoberinOhio

D
Old 08-29-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Love it out there, Sober. It's great to see you so upbeat & enjoying yourself.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sober in Ohio, you won't regret it! I left Cleveland 19 yrs ago for LA area and will never go back. Cost of living is ridiculous here but well worth the sarcifices. Plus, think of all the money you've saved not drinking!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2blackkittehs View Post
Sober in Ohio, you won't regret it! I left Cleveland 19 yrs ago for LA area and will never go back. Cost of living is ridiculous here but well worth the sarcifices. Plus, think of all the money you've saved not drinking!
Leaving Cleveland was the best decision I've made for my life and well-being! I'll always have that 216 tattoo on my calf to remind me...
Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job on 24 days. You sound very happy and free. Its a good feeling right?