Notices

Priorities

Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Priorities

Picking up from last nights discussion......I am seeing very clearly that I did not make myself my number one priority...and that I put alcohol first. i think my depression tipped the scales......and I got stuck....and my alcoholism became worse. I woke up last night to find that I'm in the entirely wrong place. And that things have definitely got to change.....and I know where......that in itself is a relief because now I know what will be better for me and thereby increase my odds of success. It's like the light turned on. I have 48 days.....anyone else feeling this way?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

awesome job on 48 days
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My Sobriety definitely needed to become my number 1 priority, it took me a long time to make Sobriety happen, a change of routines, a change of hanging out with certain people, a change of activities, soo much change was needed but I always put others and what I wanted to do, or the thoughts of what would be enjoyable first rather than protecting my Sobriety.

When that changed, things got easier!!

Great job on Day 48!!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

This was one of my Major hurdles to over come . I felt sorry for my drinking buddies , to me I was hurting them (feelings) by not wanting to drink with them any longer . Crazy right ? Or I turned down invites to social gatherings . What did I do , Felt bad for not joining them .
Took me some time to realize , I was the one (myself) I had to worry about
Great post . Congrats on 48 Days
Old 08-29-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congrats on 48 days Debbie

When it's something as important as this I wouldn't even describe it as putting yourself first. You are simply doing what is necessary to survive that's all.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The wonderful thing is you are recognizing this and you can continue to make yourself the priority with staying sober. Congratulations on 48 days and keep up the great work!
Old 08-29-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Making your recovery a number one priority is the key for me.

If I take care of me, I don't pick up a drink and everything will work out. Even if I have to rest all day to accomplish not picking up a drink then that is what I would do. Keeping busy helps me a lot... and so does reading self help books - that is working on my recovery. Changing my eating was very helpful - again taking care of me.

Wishing you the best Debbie - and congratulations on 48 days
Old 08-29-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbie, 48 days sober is great. And, yes, I had a lot of light-bulb moments in early recovery. It's really a period of growth. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found a real shift in my perceptions for sure Debbie...my head cleared and I found myself wondering who that drunk guy was...

congrats on 48 days