Notices

Two Days In

Old 08-26-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Days In

Day 2 of my attempt at sobriety. I felt better today, my side didn't hurt and I was finally feeling hydrated, could've gone for more sleep.

Got some stuff done at work and was disgusted with myself when around 3 PM the idea of stopping at the store and picking up some booze crossed my mind. What's sadder is I seriously considered it.

I was pissed at myself when I got home. In my first post I wrote about how I have a wine rack in my kitchen that is always empty and that sometimes I wanted to take a hammer to it. I did that when I got home and tossed it in the dumpster.

I feel a little better.

Two days down, infinity to go.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tossing the wine rack in the dumpster made me smile.

Be kind to yourself. You're bound to have thoughts of drinking, just as long as you don't act on them. They will ease up. Good for you for getting through Day 2.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great Taureg I think you did the right thing with the wine rack and I hope it was cathartic!
Way to go on 2 days you are on the right track
We are with you in sober endeavoring.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Thinking about drinking like that is natural; it's what we've always done.

What helps me is to have a plan of how I'll handle those times. Often if I verbalize it--tell someone who understands, like another sober person, it eases it a bit. I have all kinds of things I can try, from eating ice cream (gotta cut back there) or something else I like, doing something to distract myself, writing in my journal about how I'm feeling, and sometimes I'll just sit with it until it passes. That's not easy, but it shows me that it's just a feeling and I don't have to act on it. The thing that works best for me though is AA. There are other recovery programs if that doesn't suit you, but for me AA makes staying sober way less painful.

It's nothing to get mad at myself about. I get mad at the addiction instead, that annoying little voice in my head that keeps trying to tell me that a drink is a good idea. You smashing up the wine rack like that sounded like a great idea--I would have been picturing that little voice going in the dumpster right along with it.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job!!! I think the image of you beating the crap out of a wine rack and chucking it in the dumpster would be great to call up in your imagination next time you are hit with a craving.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thinking of YOUR wine rack smackdown feels good to me!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 too.
I hope destroying the wine rack was cathartic, I love it

Don't beat yourself up about the thoughts about drinking. I don't know your story but I assume it was your habit for a while, so it's going to take some time to form new ones. It's how you respond that matters. Yay you.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had quite the chuckle picturing you smashing the wine rack to smithereens - too funny.

I had a few visions early on of bulldozing my way through the vineyards of Napa Valley.

Congrats on Day 2.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CONGRATS! Day 3 is soon enough
Old 08-26-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You sound a lot like myself, I'm in my late twenties and I'm on day 4. Make a list of all the positive things you will benefit from sobriety. Trust me, it's a long list, I made one today.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"

I swear it was that one rum filled chocolate I ate when I was like 7 and my life was set on the booze horizon.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Death to the wine rack!!!!

I remember your post about it. I love hearing that you smashed it. That's awesome. Keep going. You can do it.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2 and good job beating up that wine rack!!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done Taureg... Day 2 is awesome & it's all uphill now you have got past those couple of days... I always found it was the withdrawal which made me relapse, needing to feel normal by having a drink.... That does pass & the cravings will gradually subside... After a week or so when I did have a craving, it normally passed after a few minutes... I'm a year in now & to be honest I can't remember when I had a craving.... It may sound dangerous but I have a liquor store 1 minute away from me, I go in there to get some chocolate the thought does not even cross my mid to purchase alcohol, I don't even register the bottles there... I'm hooked on chocolate now!!!! Again, congrats on day 2, hang in there...
Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to go! Whatever it takes!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 2 Taureg

D
Old 08-28-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 2 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang on to this great feeling, Taur! Trump your cravings with the memories of how a night of drinking makes you feel in the morning! Think about things that you've been wanting to do but haven't because you've been out drinking. Keep yourself busy and find a new favorite snack