Notices

Two Years

Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Years

I am 2 years sober today. I came to SR hung over, ashamed and hopeless. Today, I am healthier, happier, less anxious and more optimistic about the future.

I have fought the urge to drink 1000 times in the last two years. At first the urge was almost all-consuming. It screamed at me. More recently, it has been more like an occasional itch. An itch that I still want to scratch. But an itch that I know will pass. Until the next one arrives.

I am resigned to the fact that the occasional urge to drink will be there, and it will be there for many more years - maybe forever.

I don't care about that. I am stronger than my urges now. And, if I have any words of advice or encouragement to give, it would be that. You are stronger than your urges. Your urges don't define you. How you respond to those urges is what defines you.

Physical addictions, especially in the early stages, may require drastic, inpatient treatment. For me, I was fortunate that the support I received from SR was enough to keep me from giving in to those early cravings. But, as the weeks went by, for me anyway, it all came down to those urges, and how I dealt with them. The more often I had to deal with the urge to drink, and the more times that I resisted that urge to drink, the more clear it became to me. I am stronger than my urges. Even my urge to drink. And you, too, are stronger than your urges. You really are. I mean it. You are.

I have gained so much strength from the kind, supportive, understanding people here. And I am profoundly grateful for all of you.

So, forward I go. With all of you. I can't wait for what lies ahead.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

2 Years is Awesome Firstymer
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's fantastic, congratulations! And thanks for your contributions to SR over those 2 years as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Congrats!! Well said!
Enjoy the popcorn
Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
I am stronger than my urges now. And, if I have any words of advice or encouragement to give, it would be that. You are stronger than your urges. Your urges don't define you. How you respond to those urges is what defines you.
That's so good to hear. Your words have a lot of wisdom in them.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two years! That's great.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two years is incredible! Congratulations
Old 08-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Firstymer - That's Awesome Congrats on 2 year !
Great post for inspiration
Old 08-26-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
I am 2 years sober today. I came to SR hung over, ashamed and hopeless. Today, I am healthier, happier, less anxious and more optimistic about the future.

I have fought the urge to drink 1000 times in the last two years. At first the urge was almost all-consuming. It screamed at me. More recently, it has been more like an occasional itch. An itch that I still want to scratch. But an itch that I know will pass. Until the next one arrives.

I am resigned to the fact that the occasional urge to drink will be there, and it will be there for many more years - maybe forever.

I don't care about that. I am stronger than my urges now. And, if I have any words of advice or encouragement to give, it would be that. You are stronger than your urges. Your urges don't define you. How you respond to those urges is what defines you.

Physical addictions, especially in the early stages, may require drastic, inpatient treatment. For me, I was fortunate that the support I received from SR was enough to keep me from giving in to those early cravings. But, as the weeks went by, for me anyway, it all came down to those urges, and how I dealt with them. The more often I had to deal with the urge to drink, and the more times that I resisted that urge to drink, the more clear it became to me. I am stronger than my urges. Even my urge to drink. And you, too, are stronger than your urges. You really are. I mean it. You are.

I have gained so much strength from the kind, supportive, understanding people here. And I am profoundly grateful for all of you.

So, forward I go. With all of you. I can't wait for what lies ahead.
This is REALLY good stuff, and it's very very similar to my own experience. I used AA and the Big Book and that community as well as volunteering to speak at the hospital detox and doing some service work and really keeping myself INTO recovery as well, during the first year. That helped me immensely with the itches and urges because I was never very far from very vivid and clear reminders of where I was headed if I chose to throw away my sobriety again.

Nowadays, I pretty much just use SR. I feel strong and actually quite proud of my sobriety now. I will still maintain ties to AA and I know it's just a short drive away to 2-3-times-daily meetings should I need them. I will still go volunteer and speak as well... because more and more I feel a responsibility and a motivation to help others the way I've been helped.

But - the really encouraging thing for me and hopefully for others out there is that it doesn't have to feel like a struggle forever. Changing our reaction to those itches and cravings, adjusting our thinking about alcohol and drugs, adjusting our lives in support of far richer, sober lives - really DOES bring about change and it really does get a lot easier.

Congratulations firstymer.... you've been an inspiration and a comrade to me... I'm proud of you and grateful to you.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats & Happy 2 years to you !!
Beautiful true words firstymer

Old 08-26-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, firstymer. Two years is fantastic!!!!1

Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! I'm happy for you! Your one of the inspirations here!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Big congrats on two years sober! And thanks for your encouraging words. I love reading such positive uplifting posts.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

great post - thanks
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's fantastic firstymer - congratulations!

D
Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations...2 years is awesome...It is a wonderful post...
Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats Firstymer! 2 years is fantastic, and your post was very encouraging to read!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Congrats, First!!! Thanks for the great post.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Two years - how wonderful, firstymer. We're so proud of how you've turned it all around.