ACOA Organist Guild

Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ACOA Organist Guild

Excuse my while I dump some water on my head to diminish the steam coming out.

I was unceremoniously fired from a volunteer position I held as part of a steering committee in 2011. This committee was planning a local convention of organists from all over the western US. The reason why I was fired, in short, was that I spoke truth to power. I informed the powers that were, that we would have no convention hotel if they continued their course.

I was responsible for securing lodging here. The hotel we had chosen needed a signed contract from us ASAP, but I didn't have the authority to sign. Finally the hotel informed me that we were about to lose our room block after five failed attempts to get a signature from the authorities.

While I was away for a weekend doing volunteer work for Catholic Radio, I got an e-mail from the convention coordinator that the committee wanted me to step down. When this happened, not ONE member of that committee came to my defense, in spite of e-mails from me protesting their decision.

Since then, many members of that organization have left, with the latest transferring to the chapter in San Francisco just to distance himself from the local group. Now our town is woefully short of substitute organists.

Now, last night, I get a PM on my Facebook from the wife of one of those people, informing me that if I don't substitute for him two Sundays in October, that they will have to cancel their vacation plans. This is the first I have heard of the dates in question. I was immediately reminded of my qualifier in my AlAnon program, who pulls similar stunts.

Fortunately for me, there is a conflict with my regular church job. Of course, I must also confess the temptation to offer my services at insanely inflated prices, but my better sensibilities took over, and I told that party of the scheduling conflict.

Some alcoholic "families" are unrelated by blood!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Eauchiche, I'm so sorry that something you volunteered for has brought so much unwanted drama into your life. It kind of sounds like you're better of without them though, doesn't it. Maybe they did you a favor.

Speaking of unwanted drama, I have to admit that while I read your post I kept thinking how great it must be to be an organist when personal drama strikes. You can play your own dramatic background music. I'd be starting trouble just so I could break out the Bach. Cool!