Notices

First AA meeting tomorrow :)

Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face First AA meeting tomorrow :)

Hi all,

I have been subscribed to this site since June and it's invaluable to me. I've been a cheeky 'lurker' though; feels a bit fraudulent to read and run so I've decided from now on I will be posting regularly.

I'm almost 28 and my drinking habits have got progressively worse over the last 2 years. I don't drink every day; I can easily go for 5/6 days with nothing but then I'll sure as hell make-up for lost time, don't know when to stop and will lose hours of my life. I've always had a penchant for a drink or two...or ten! I used to be a model; I told myself that the wild nights out were all part of the glamour. Then I got a managerial job and convinved myself that I deserved one vice as I worked 50/60 hour weeks; looking back I don't know how I did it without burning out completely.

I had a miscarriage last November and things went further into a downward spiral; I was drinking to fill the void and I managed to crash my car one morning, still hungover. Then I got made redundant and it was initially like a neon light flashing up allowing me to drink myself into oblivion. Luckily I've pulled myself around a bit; I've managed to secure two part time jobs, have started working, really enjoy meeting new people and am getting my confidence back slowly.

After a relapse yesterday (TWO bottles of wine on my day off; I was virtually comatose) I have finally decided I need support from AA. I am going to my first meeting tomorrow night. I'm half terrified and half relieved to know that I will be meeting others who understand me; not many people do!

Hope to speak to you all frequently over the next few weeks and months.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

starting over youl find tons & tons of support here
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome,

Hope to see more from you in the coming months!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome!!!

Many of us had to keep trying different levels of support until we found some that worked. I find the combination of SR and AA highly effective and, well frankly - enjoyable! Two great fellowships that work well together, imo.

Welcome!!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wishing you well and success with your meeting!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you.

That's encouraging Fly. I've been doing 1-on-1 counselling for a month or so but think it'll be better for me having a proper support network of like-minded people. If they're near as friendly as everyone on SR I will be on to a winner
Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR startingover.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
A great thing about the fellowship is all the people who understand each other and the desire to stay sober and help another alcoholic.
Sobriety is so worthwhile it’s life saving for those who don’t drink and get off the path of misery.

Please give it a chance and try to attend different meetings as many have a different “flavor.”

And remember the program works if we work it.

BE WELL
Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, and good on ya for beginning the process of recovery
Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

AA, in combination with this website, was how I got, and stayed, sober.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, starting over! I'll just echo others' suggestion and encourage you to try a few different AA meetings -- they're all a little different and it can take awhile to find a group you 'click' with, and also awhile to catch on to the process. Be assured that the people there will want to support you and wish you well ... we do understand the struggle and want to help.

Good for you for getting help.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingover02 View Post
Hi all,

I have been subscribed to this site since June and it's invaluable to me. I've been a cheeky 'lurker' though; feels a bit fraudulent to read and run so I've decided from now on I will be posting regularly.

I'm almost 28 and my drinking habits have got progressively worse over the last 2 years. I don't drink every day; I can easily go for 5/6 days with nothing but then I'll sure as hell make-up for lost time, don't know when to stop and will lose hours of my life. I've always had a penchant for a drink or two...or ten! I used to be a model; I told myself that the wild nights out were all part of the glamour. Then I got a managerial job and convinved myself that I deserved one vice as I worked 50/60 hour weeks; looking back I don't know how I did it without burning out completely.

I had a miscarriage last November and things went further into a downward spiral; I was drinking to fill the void and I managed to crash my car one morning, still hungover. Then I got made redundant and it was initially like a neon light flashing up allowing me to drink myself into oblivion. Luckily I've pulled myself around a bit; I've managed to secure two part time jobs, have started working, really enjoy meeting new people and am getting my confidence back slowly.

After a relapse yesterday (TWO bottles of wine on my day off; I was virtually comatose) I have finally decided I need support from AA. I am going to my first meeting tomorrow night. I'm half terrified and half relieved to know that I will be meeting others who understand me; not many people do!

Hope to speak to you all frequently over the next few weeks and months.

Great to see you take the first step onto a new beginning
Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, startingover2, to SR.

Let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and best wishes for a great meeting. I went into my first meeting a sobbing mess and was welcomed by all and made to feel like I was worthy of help and support.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am also 28 and recently found my sobriety. I've worked 60 hour+ weeks and remember that "I deserve it" feeling. Now I'm starting to find new, early morning, sober activites that are good for my body because I really do deserve them! I am by no means an expert but feel free to pm me if you ever want to talk!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

So glad you found us
Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome home...hugzzzzz
Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)