Notices

Drunk neighbour - cannot sell!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk neighbour - cannot sell!

I am not happy at the moment. Me and my neighbour used to be drinking buddies and we moved next to each other in 2010. I then went downhill mentally really quick in 2013.
I then went to meetings, back to work and my overall health improved. I also decorated my flat. I think my neighbour then became jealous and was not happy that I stopped drinking.
Last May I cam back from work and he was drunk in the corridor. He then assaulted me when I refused to give him money.
I have now put my property on the market and recently accepted an offer however the sale has just fallen through. This is because legally I have to declare any previous disputes with neighbours.
Angry!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that BigBobby, have you considered going to the authorities about your neighbor?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really annoying. Maybe you could talk to a real estate lawyer who would have some suggestions about how to deal with this issue?
Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wouldn't that mean a dispute with regards to the properties?? (i.e. bounderies; fences; responsibility; ownership; etc.) I wouldn't consider it dishonest if you declared that you haven't got a 'dispute', as I would take a 'dispute' to mean that there is something outstanding to settle or agree on. Yours was 'just' a personal falling out (I know it probably doesn't feel like a 'just' thing to you, but it doesn't affect potential buyers that you're not drinking buddies or friends any more).
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

My eldest sister is having this problem
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not up on the law in other countries but like Beccy I'm surprised too.
I would think property disputes need to be divulged but an altercation in the hallway would not be something I'd feel I needed to disclose, unless maybe the police were called or charges laid?

I'd consult someone about what that disputes thing really means.
D
Old 08-24-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I suspect they are referring to legal disputes concerning the property. Talk to your real estate agent and/or a property lawyer.

I'm an attorney, but this is not my area of expertise, and the laws are different from one jurisdiction to another. I don't believe you'd have to disclose personality clashes with the neighbors. If you lived next door to a pedophile, rapist, or murderer, THAT might have to be disclosed. Heck, maybe the potential buyer will be a drinker, too, and they will be best buds.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

This will turn out okay for you big, I am pretty sure you don't have to disclose that you don't get along with your neighbor.