Notices

15 days!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 days!

Made it over the two week mark! Always seems on or before 14 days I give up, but the number 15 is music to my ears!

The first 12 days or so, I kept myself busy but stayed in pretty much besides the grocery store and other little necessities. But on Saturday, took myself to the mall and strolled around, enjoying it and the crowd for the first time in years. I've never had any patience for the mall or anything for that matter, but not being hungover or "relaxed" by my few drinks, really changed my outlook. I had patience....I actually enjoyed chatting with the random strangers. It was very strange, but very enjoyable, which is sorta flipping me out still....but I WILL TAKE IT!

Sunday, worked in the morning and had a family function in the afternoon. Now, my family is no longer a big drinking family because everyone has quit over the years, besides me. I was never the "drunk" sister, daughter, Aunt etc.....but definitely had a glass or two of wine before attending, and they always have a bottle in case someone (me) may want a glass. (Always just one when I'm there, they had no idea I had a few before I came).

So, I was a little anxious for some reason but I knew it was a perfect way to spend a "real" socializing function without the major temptation of alcohol since no one else would be pounding them down. My sister in law may have had one glass with me before, but that was it for her. Never a drinker was she.

Anyway, got there at 3p.....and stayed till 9p! It was fun! I was cleared headed, interested, witty, and funny! I was the person that I thought only alcohol could make me. Seems I do have personality without alcohol. Who knew??? When others spoke, I listened intently and responded appropriately.....instead of making a joke of everything or over doing myself trying to prove that I am okay and life is just grand (when I wasn't, it wasn't, over the last few years).

The one thing I really notice is that sense of urgency or franticness that I've been carrying around is gone. I'm able to keep everyday life in perspective and rationally realize that things have to be done and aren't gonna "do" themselves! Sounds weird, but things as simple as doing the dishes a few weeks ago would just **** me off and put me in a crappy mood. Not that I like doing them now, but I just do them....it has to be done. It's not a huge, stupid internal mind battle over freakin dishes!

So, thanks for listening, thanks for being here (sorry for rambling).....and HAPPY MONDAY!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

InTheEnd - You said "Seems I do have personality without alcohol. Who knew???" What a fantastic discovery that is! You may have days when you don't feel that way, when you feel really crappy and wonder why you stopped drinking, but just keep remembering this day, the day you proved that there IS a better, more social, interested, witty, and funny you withOUT drinking. 15 days will turn in to 15 months, and more, and more, and more! Congrats.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 15 days

D
Old 08-24-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks D and PBDave! I will remember Dave and am really happy it went well. I know all this is new but after a few "quits" over the years, I feel like this one is different and actually am actually imagining a future without alcohol (instead of dreading life without it). I see sober as possible this time and want it so much more than I ever have.

So many of ya'll have inspired me on SR and as I read your stories of triumphs, greatness, slips, troubles or as simple as making through the day (good or bad), make me a stronger person for it. Thank you all for sharing your lives with me here.

Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.

There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others."
Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Congratulations on 15 days, great stuff
Old 08-24-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

15 days is huge...good job...16 is almost here...)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best