Notices

Pray for me please

Old 08-21-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pray for me please

I prayed for the first time tonight, as I'm drinking a beer, that God please remove this obsession to drink. Try as I might, I can't seem to get rid of the beer. It's my answer to everything: depression, anxiety, insomnia. It's hard to get to sleep without a few drinks. But I can't live like this anymore.

I'm a prideful guy and I don't believe in God but I feel like I need a miracle. I don't want to live this alcoholic life anymore. I'm going through a tough break up, about to start a new job, and I don't want to keep drinking. It's killing me. Please say a prayer for me, anyone, because I feel like I need a miracle. I don't know where else to turn.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi MindRacer. I don't pray, but I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I understand exactly how you feel. But when I doubt my ability to get sober, I turn my thoughts to this truth: many people here were once in the same place, and they managed to achieve long term sobriety. If they did it, I know I can do it, and I'm sure you can as well.

You should join us the August Class of 2015. The thread is here in the "Newcomers" section
Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers MindRacer.

I am sorry you are struggling. Don't let pride get in the way. You are among friends here.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MindRacer

Before I start I mean no offence to those whose beliefs do not meet with mine...just sharing my journey

I'm a Christian now, but I was an atheist for many years by the time I quit, but I would pray to God too.

Nothing happened, and I think now I know why.

I eventually got out of the cycle by a lot of hard work and effort - and I don't it would have meant as much to me had my behaviour simply being altered or fixed by God?

God will absolutely help you but we have to help ourselves too.

What is your recovery plan like?

what do you do when you get a craving for booze?
what's your alternative strategy?

whats your support like?
do you use it?

It's really not magic NightRacer, or it hasn't been for me - it's just a lot of thought and care and a little hard work and effort.

This is a great link for meeting based recovery groups, dealing with cravings and making recovery plans

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 08-22-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi MindRacer. I am keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking was my answer to everything in life. Now I know the destruction, self loathing and disappointment it brings.

You can do this. You'll be in my thoughts and I wish you well.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can absolutely stop living the way you are. Last year I was exactly where you are in using beer as my 'answer' to everything. Actually though beer was the cause of so much of my depression, anxiety, insomnia.

The miracle you want will happen through a plan. When you start today, start it by forming your plan. Dee gave you a link. Another place you'll get a lot of help is the 'weekender's' thread started by weasel1966. Jump in there and ask. Joining the August class is a great start as well.

I have my own stumbling blocks when it comes to getting my mind around a higher power and am working through that in my life. But the first step for me had to be getting sober and building a solid life of sobriety. Start there and the rest will fall in place.

Wishing you the very best.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

MindRacer I'm with Dee on this one . We can pray * help you along in your sobriety - But you have to do the work . Get the tools to stop . Read & post make a plan . Make this day your day of freedom .
Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will definitely pray for you.

Sobriety is a miracle but it is one we create by and for ourselves. We can seek help and support along the way but the hard work is ours to generate. The rewards are well-worth the effort. You will be surprised by the abundance of little miracles you will find in sobriety - true wealth.

Welcome to SR, MindRacer; glad you found us.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi mind racer,,

Prayers? You got it!

I found over time that the "cure" for my insomnia, anxiety, depression was actually the biggest cause. When I put the drink down, eventually those ills left me. I still have moments, buts it's nothing like what you are going through.

You can get better. In my case, praying and letting to of the reins certainly helped. But only you can put down the beer and make it happen.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I saw a miracle today and there's no way this is coincidence dude you can send me msgs if it helps to stay sober

If your reaching out my arm is always there brother
Old 08-22-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking of you mindracer. I/We care about you. But please let you care about you. Post often.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am sending prayers to you, MindRacer.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Prayers have gone up for you, MindRacer. I hope you'll let us know how you're doing. I'm very glad you posted.