Notices

Court

Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Court

I find I'm often trying to come up with something to say, but don't wanna post just to post. So, I have an update on my situation(s) to talk about.

I had my court date today to address the DWI (we call it Driving While Impaired here). My attorney's strategy was to plead guilty since I was unconscious at the scene of my wreck and there was no breathalyzer administered, and the BAC determined at the hospital was never subpoenaed and entered into evidence. So, the guilty plea was a way to prevent that from happening. It also prevented me from having to install that breathalyzer thingy into my car, once I actually have a car.

My license is revoked for a year, but once I get a car and insurance, I can get a restricted license, which allows me to drive to work, AA meetings, and the like, during certain hours of the day. All in all, it worked out better than I feared and I'm glad to get all that behind me.

I'm still dealing with a lot of financial worries. I've been working for the past couple weeks through a job placement agency. I'm not sure if I'll ever be hired by the school I'm working for, but there's a possibility. In the meantime, it's good to be working and not sitting at home dwelling on my problems.

As far as sobriety, I am over 4 months in now. My sponsor recently asked what my plan is for relapse prevention. I said one thing that works great in that capacity is how screwed up my life is right now. He said, "That's what you said last time." I said, "Yeah, but it wasn't nearly this bad before." He said, "You said that before, too." Smart ass.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your4 months sober.

May I just say, you need a new plan for relapse. Relying on how you screwed up your life doesn't work. You see, the human brain and time are an amazing combination. The pain, embarrassment, and guilt begin to diminish as the months & years go by. It's the very reason you are in the place you are now. I want to be able to congratulate you on 5, 6, 12, etc months sober and now that court is behind you.....you really need a plan in place because the anxiety is going to start to diminish quickly.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you can put that part of it behind you GMO

I hope you will decide to look at what your recovery plan is and how it might be better.

What ever time and effort it ends up taking is a great investment in your future

D
Old 08-21-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Ileana View Post
May I just say, you need a new plan for relapse. Relying on how you screwed up your life doesn't work. You see, the human brain and time are an amazing combination. The pain, embarrassment, and guilt begin to diminish as the months & years go by. It's the very reason you are in the place you are now.
Oh yeah, I know this from experience and I get my sponsor's point clearly. I'm a work in progress, but I am working on it. "Progress not perfection." It's my nature to intellectualize, but I know full well reason and logic have nothing whatsoever to do with addiction. It was never a thought process alone that preceded any of my relapses. There was always an emotional component, an irrational, foolhardy compulsion that only grew more pronounced with the effects of the alcohol. Those feelings can return under the most unlikely circumstances.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're in a better place than you were!