Notices

Morning anxiety

Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning anxiety

I'm going to bed now. I feel fine. But I know that tomorrow morning I will wake up in panic, sweaty, shaking, heart pounding...it's been happening for the past 6-8 weeks since I started binge drinking and it hasn't stopped yet.

I don't want to wake up and run to the liquor store like I usually do.

I would love some help...some advice. Please help me to stay home tomorrow morning and enjoy my cup of coffee without any booze in it.

I will check SR as soon as I wake up. Please help me...I am scared of tomorrow morning...
Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't totally relate, I've been there so many times and it's ugly.. Hang in there!! You can do this!! Get rid of all the booze and don't take that first drink.. Wishing you the best, it does get better!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried breathing exercises Patricia?

Breathing Exercises

they can be hard to get into if your chest is tight but it's worth pursuing.
A little light exercise is good if breathings not coming easily to you
Old 08-20-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, it depends on how badly you've damaged yourself. That was me the last 4 months before I ended up in the hospital. I'm not trying to scare you. Even when I was doing it daily (and I'd wake, sip, throw up, sip, throw up, and then finally it would stick and I'd be good to go--always drinking throughout the day, though) I was able to stop cold turkey. The first day was hell, but by day three I was fine. This last time, though, the bender I was on did me in and I couldn't come out of it without going to ER. I was forced there by my husband. Looking back, I may have died.

It is hell. nearly two months later, I can say things are 500 percent better.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Confusing post. Did you stop drinking? If you didn't and you feel forced to put booze in your morning coffee just to stop the symptoms you are kind of in a bad situation that looks like withdrawal. You may really need some help. Although my situation probably has its differences I took myself to the emergency room and told the truth. After 7 or 8 years of drinking I have stopped. This community is helpful.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Are you still binging every night? If so the anxiety could very likely be withdrawals. I got to that point too toward the end, the only solution was to stop drinking.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Been there and it was awful, I tried stringing it along for way to long. Eventually I wound up in the hospital.

Get it over with and quit, it only will get worse the longer you push it off. Go to the ER if your worried.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sorry I guess I posted twice.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ditto what Scott said. If you're still drinking it is probably withdrawal, especially if it goes away when you start drinking. If you quit drinking already, try the breathing exercises and cut out the caffeine for a while.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
😇

Call your dr and tell them what's going on. Don't be embarrassed, it's better you tell the truth, they can help.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HI Patricia, I know those mornings very well. After a night of drinking, I would jolt awake at sunrise feeling as though the world was about to end. I never really knew what I was panicking over but it was the most uncomfortable feeling. where I live, liquor isn't sold anywhere before 10am so I would often have to stare at the clock for a few hours before I could get my 'medicine'.

The panic is all directly related to alcohol withdrawal. It's unavoidable. Whenever I came off a binge I knew to expect 3 days of anxiety and panic. I kept drinking in order to avoid it and would usually only detox when I had spent all my money.

You have to break the cycle sometime. May as well stop digging that hole now
Old 08-20-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just want tomorrow to be my day 1. I want it so bad...

I think you guys are right, could be the anxiety caused by withdrawals...but it gets unbearable.

Did you ever wake up by a loud noise like the sound of a slamming door or a thunder? All scared and startled? That's my mornings...every single morning...and I have no energy to go for a walk or even a clear mind to do some meditation...so I pace back and forth until the liquor store opens...and I promise myself that it's going to be just 1 or 2 beers until I calm down so I can get my morning chores started...but it's never 1 or 2...it's 6 or 8...or more...

I just want to find the motivation to survive the panic and anxiety for the first few days until all this poison gets out of my system...I need to stop trying to cure a hangover with more alcohol...

Thank you so much for listening...and for all your support...
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will be completely honest with you. They may "edit" this, but tomorrow morning, the **** won't be easy! Get that in your head and embrace it, but you CAN make it through tomorrow without a drink. Just get through that first day and all of the rest will be ok too......keep in mind that I said "ok" but not easy all of the time. Always say to yourself "I did it yesterday, I can do it today.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
HI Patricia, I know those mornings very well. After a night of drinking, I would jolt awake at sunrise feeling as though the world was about to end. I never really knew what I was panicking over but it was the most uncomfortable feeling. where I live, liquor isn't sold anywhere before 10am so I would often have to stare at the clock for a few hours before I could get my 'medicine'.

The panic is all directly related to alcohol withdrawal. It's unavoidable. Whenever I came off a binge I knew to expect 3 days of anxiety and panic. I kept drinking in order to avoid it and would usually only detox when I had spent all my money.

You have to break the cycle sometime. May as well stop digging that hole now
Wow! I can really relate to this post! I went through the same thing...it was sheer torture at times. I agree. A visit to the doctor is the first place I would go. They can give you something to help you come off the alcohol. Any type of exercise you can manage and staying off caffeine for a while are also excellent ideas. If you can stop drinking and stay stopped, the anxiety is sure to go away.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Patricia, please be sure to post here the first thing you wake up in the morning. Somebody will help you thru the anxiety. And like others said, stay away from the caffeine. You can do this. It's going to be rough, but as you can see, there are lots of others who have been exactly where you are now and have made it through. Hang in there.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow, before 10am? Hell, where I live it's nothing before 11am, and grocery stores are out of the question!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunriseSky View Post
Patricia, please be sure to post here the first thing you wake up in the morning. Somebody will help you thru the anxiety. And like others said, stay away from the caffeine. You can do this. It's going to be rough, but as you can see, there are lots of others who have been exactly where you are now and have made it through. Hang in there.
Don't understand the caffeine thing! Coffee helps me!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I'm going to bed now. I feel fine. But I know that tomorrow morning I will wake up in panic, sweaty, shaking, heart pounding...it's been happening for the past 6-8 weeks since I started binge drinking and it hasn't stopped yet.

I don't want to wake up and run to the liquor store like I usually do.

I would love some help...some advice. Please help me to stay home tomorrow morning and enjoy my cup of coffee without any booze in it.

I will check SR as soon as I wake up. Please help me...I am scared of tomorrow morning...
Think of the most wonderful thing you ever did, most relaxing. Mine is swimming with sea turtles. When you wake up just think of that and what it feels and looked like. Breathe slow and deep through your belly. Just picture that and breathe as long as you can. Myself, it will be the 3 am panic wake up ! I have my belleruth naparstek meditation for anxiety ready to go to relax me. The anxiety gets better, it does. Breathe it out..
Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Patricia, it's a vicious cycle, you drink to stop the anxiety which comes back when your body craves more drink.

I had terrible anxiety issues, which where brought on mainly from my drinking. Yes, I had issues before that, but while we drink, we can't see the wood for the trees.

Give it a go. Day one, one foot in front of the other, stick near SR, it's a great help.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wake in the morning, pray if you're a praying person, and go about your day excluding the liquor store.