Notices

Booze money: doing the math is sad and scary...

Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze money: doing the math is sad and scary...

So I just had to gather up three previous bank statements as I'm applying for a new apartment with my girlfriend. Just out of curiosity I decided to itemize all the booze purchases, add them up and get an average. (Oh and I was I so worried that she might see the statements and bug out about how often I was buying booze? YES. Ah the sweet anxiety we make for ourselves).

So based on my booze expenditures for May, June and July, (which doesn't include wine at dinners or when I paid cash, just liquor store purchases) - I average $16 daily on alcohol.

Over the course of a year that is...around $6,000.....

Over the past 8 years of my 30s (I'm 38) that is maybe.....$48,000

Holy sh-t.

And to think it's all for the beast and has done nothing for me except harm and oblivion. What a sick and horrid mistress this disease is.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are brave. I have not done that yet. I don't know that I could face it. Because I am suddenly swimming in money being sober.

I make a pretty good living and have for a good while now. I don't have to worry about money but always seemed to be close to the bottom every time payday came. It's weird, for someone who made 1/8th of what I make now, for most of my adult life, still living paycheck to paycheck, making a solid, even a little high, middle class income. I was recklessly spending so much money on booze: in the grocery store, in the liquor store, at the bar. Every day. It really adds up. And with me, I have this sick little thing I do... where I go to dinner really because of the wine. It was like a mask.

I'm really there for the wine. Let's be clear, if we weren't all in denial here, then I would be drinking a $3 bottle on my front stoop with a bag of fritos. But since we're pretending, then I suppose I'll select this very nice $25 bottle that costs $50 in the restaurant, to drink with this $20 entree I could really care less about because let's be clear, I'm really only interested in drinking.

Think about the money you will have if you keep going. It's been a motivator for me.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here. I don't make much money but I still spent a lot on booze. I made do mostly drinking at home, but I loved craft beer and averaged $300 a month on the stuff. Sometimes that's a week's wages for me. Heartbreaking.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, it's sobering to figure that out. And I still smoke. Crippling when I combined the two. The feeling of wasting money, time and emotional resources got me down. But you can change that.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can't change the past...whats done is done. You can ensure you wont be wasting money on booze in the future by not drinking today.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I know it's Sad to think of all that wasted money & not a thing to show for
I'm like a kid in a Candy store now . When I go shopping I see things I once didn't buy, cause I wanted alcohol more . Now I can treat myself to things & still have money to spare
Life it Good ..

Last edited by NestWasEmpty; 08-20-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spell !!
Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

There is the flip side of course. Once you quit you can add up all the money you would have spent on booze.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's sad, for sure, but you can change that now and put your money to better use.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's nothing we can do about the past Less.
The futures looks pretty good when we stop drinking tho.

I know one member here puts what they would have spent on booze a week in the bank. It soon becomes a tidy nest egg

D