Notices

My Bottom

Old 08-20-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My Bottom

My bottom was a vertigo type of attack after a 6 day dry spell.

I had my son in the car w me, and managed to limp home. The next day , I had another one, while driving, in front of my drinking buddy. He drove part of the way home. That night I drank a 750 ml of whisky. Genious.

Haven't drank since. Recovered, just about, except for some anxiety while driving. Imagine that.

So some might argue that was a high bottom. I imagine not.

I pretend I had a vertigo attack, and swerved into a bus stop and killed 5 people. I was arrested, lost my job, my family and am in jail for 30 years.

Why? Because that could have easily happened. I would not be taking up drinking again in prison.

That is how am approaching the next 30 years. I have been given so many chances. I am never drinking again.

Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, yes, for sure things are always going to get worse. I know there are many times when I wish I had stopped drinking and believed that I couldn't or didn't need to.

I'm glad you appreciate that you've been given a opportunity to change.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting sober is a wise choice. We are playing Russian roulette with our future as long as we are drinking.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good enough reason to me. I don't know why alcoholism's nasty little voice needs to be such a drama queen, honestly, and tell us that this "rock bottom" has a definition, and just being sick and tired isn't it. How bad or dramatic does it need to be?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your worst case scenario will never happen d122y

D
Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A lot of us have had scary moments in our drinking careers. I vaguely remember rolling end over end when the truck I was riding in with a friend went off an embankment. Somehow we magically landed upright and walked away ( literally ) with not much more than some cuts and bruises. Both I and my buddy swore off drinking right then and there, but I was back at it within a few days.

The point is....use this as an opportunity to really change and make a serious/formal sobriety plan. The scare always wears off, and you need to be ready when it does. SR can help with that plan.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

True. That could easily have happened. It still can if you pick up again so that is a great reason to continue sobriety.

That could have been me too. I just got lucky but many don't. I try to remember that someone is in prison doing my time while I'm free. I don't know why but I'm grateful for that.