Just a reminder to ourselves....

Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a reminder to ourselves....

as well as a message to the new members.

I have been continuously reminded as of late just how much does not "get fixed" when the alcoholic quits drinking.
I have found in my own experience that I blamed a lot of things on my AH's drinking. I have found that a lot of our issues really were not and are not caused from alcoholism.
Perhaps you are thinking that I'm married to a "dry drunk" - and that may very well be as well. But forget the "terms" for now.

Just remember the next time you try to tell yourself :
"Things would just be so perfect if he/she would only stop drinking/using"
- that's not necessarily the truth!

Not trying to be a wet blanket (honestly!) - I just sometimes think we have such hopes that we sometimes get blindsided by the truth!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh I agree. I dated a widower as well and I used to use his grief as an excuse for his behavior. Until one day, I woke up and realized the man was a jerk. He was probably a jerk to his wife when she was alive and was now being a jerk to me!! So out he went.

I told my ASO that as well. That I didn't know if he stopped drinking if it would make a difference. I didn't know him not drinking. I wouldn't know what he would be like. And I was certainly afraid of the "transition" period while his body adjusted to getting off the stuff. So I wanted him to go away for several years. Then once he had been off alcohol for a couple years...to look me up again. And then we would see. Otherwise ...how would I even know????
Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

That is why my own recovery was so important. To learn to take care of me, to find people capable of nurturing, to fulfill my life. I love my husband, but 12 years of sobriety couldn't fix what was wrong with me. Four years of prescription addiction let me know that I was powerless, and an OD made me realize that I was addicted to another person as surely as they were addicted to a substance.

What was missing from me couldn't be fixed by my husband, sober or not. I had to begin looking inward and reaching out to a fellowship of people who had overcome the same obstacles.

Life has struggles, but today I know the answers can't come from one person. Al-Anon has taught me to find my answers through the people who are living recovery. I am responsible for my own happiness. Hugs, Magic