Notices

Stressed financially

Old 08-19-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressed financially

The lender just called me about my truck payment. 30 days behind. Wanted to know where the vehicle was. I clearly stated I would not disclose that info however I will pay when I have the money! Electricity is in danger of being shut off.

In the past 8 years, I've managed to keep most bills paid, just enough that they won't get interrupted. Notice I said most.

Even when I had no money whatsoever, I drank everyday. Somehow, someway, I got money for beer. And also for the potentially interrupted services.

But it's been 24 days since quitting. I'm still broke. My last paycheck didn't cover everything. Only 2 bills. My husband started a new job, but his first paycheck won't come till next Friday which is also when I get paid.

The landlord texted about rent.

I just don't know what to do. I always came up with money for beer and cigarettes AND keep the electricity on and the lenders at bay. Why can't I do the latter now that I'm sober?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's only been 28 days your finances haven't recovered yet. That side of things should get easier over time. Not got any great financial advice for you. Got myself out of a pickle with cash but only just and relapsed and nearly got myself in a big old financial mess all over again even though I knew I'd used my last lifeline in that area. Just wanted to reply to offer some hugs and love and hope you can work something out. Hopefully someone with some great ideas will pop in soon.

Is it possible to discuss and negotiate the payments. I am sure in future it will get easier without the drinking I imagine it is hard now because things got behind in the first place while you were drinking.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ghosts31

I was wondering the same thing about myself (fortunately I paid my car off last month)...Except I found that while I was able to keep the bills paid and drink ... I ran up incredible credit card debts... Which, along with medical bills from my last binge, I now find taking the $s I used to use for drinking with (of course much of that debt was from using the credit card to charge drinks) .... Even in sobriety drinking is still costing me $s six weeks later and will for a long time to come. I probably wasn't much help but I sympathize. : /
Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 24 days sober!

Maybe it would help if you sat down and made a budget so you could see exactly where your money is going and if you can make any changes. My only advice would be to call people you owe money to and explain that your husband is starting a new job and your payment will be late.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I think I just needed to get it out. I have prayed about it. I finally talked to the lender instead of avoiding the calls. I'm past arrangements though

Just waiting for next Friday to come around so we can make done payments but j also don't want to wish my life away lol.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

can you pay SOMETHING towards the bill this week? the most critical? lenders usually appreciate a show of effort. if the money isn't there, well it just isn't.

remember you didn't get IN to this pickle YESTERDAY....its been a slowly growing problem for a while. you are just AWAKE now! and it can seem awfully overwhelming. as others have suggested having a plan and having a budget go a LONG ways to ease the stress. even if it looks bleak at first, you need to know where you ARE on the map before you can plan your route to somewhere else!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jillian
I always came up with money for beer and cigarettes AND keep the electricity on and the lenders at bay. Why can't I do the latter now that I'm sober?
I wondered that too but the truth was I never paid a bill until it was final notice and I'd save money by eating noodles for a week or something equally ridiculous.

It took me a little while to fix my finances but I got there - you will too

Like Anna says a budget is important. Make a list of your creditors and approach the the ones you cannot pay right now with a payment plan.

It may take a little while, but you will get out of this and start saving money

There are all kinds of sites with free help & advice around - hopefully others will have some reputable sites to share

D
Old 08-19-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm paying a debt back (a financial one) I do mine in bitesize monthly payments

Lil by lil youl get there have you got any local services that have a credit union ?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jillian2563, as those above me have advised you will get through this and finances will get better. For now, text the landlord back about when your husband is to be paid. As for the truck loan, pay whatever you have even if it's not the whole payment.

When I stopped drinking and smoking I put aside the money I would spend on that each week. As soon as the pay goes into my account I put aside $A100, a conservative estimate on what I spent.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice, Jillian, just hugs. I'm a single mom with a job that is under constant threat of layoffs, so I understand how stressful financial stuff is. Things will get better!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're living paycheck to paycheck, a stressful cycle that often never ends. The only way to get out of that trap is cut your expenses or earn more money. You mentioned a truck payment. Not passing judgement here but trucks are very expensive to own, especially full sized ones. Unless you really need it for work and it makes you money. If ur serious about getting out of debt, maybe let it go and get a small used car. Or bike to work. Or car share. I'm serious. You will save a fortune. Then payoff the other debts. You will be amazed how much less stress you have when you're debt free.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in a pretty similar boat. Just gotta do one thing at a time. Easier said than done when your phone is blowing up with bill collectors and your behind on payments. I won't even go into what crap I got myself into which pretty much gonna cost me thousands. I feel for you though because I've been there and I'm currently where you're at as well. Good luck to you!

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
The lender just called me about my truck payment. 30 days behind. Wanted to know where the vehicle was. I clearly stated I would not disclose that info however I will pay when I have the money! Electricity is in danger of being shut off.

In the past 8 years, I've managed to keep most bills paid, just enough that they won't get interrupted. Notice I said most.

Even when I had no money whatsoever, I drank everyday. Somehow, someway, I got money for beer. And also for the potentially interrupted services.

But it's been 24 days since quitting. I'm still broke. My last paycheck didn't cover everything. Only 2 bills. My husband started a new job, but his first paycheck won't come till next Friday which is also when I get paid.

The landlord texted about rent.

I just don't know what to do. I always came up with money for beer and cigarettes AND keep the electricity on and the lenders at bay. Why can't I do the latter now that I'm sober?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about the difficulties you're having, Jillian. I dont know if you know, but there are certain guidelines regarding shut-off of gas and electric services when there are children in the home-I seem to remember that you have kids. Also, you can enter into a payment agreement and they can't disconnect your services. These guidelines vary greatly by state though, so I'd Google the guidelines for utility shut-off in your state and be sure to mention the guidelines to the customer service reps you speak to.

I've had some rough times financially in the past and have found that many people were willing to work with me if I explained my situation clearly and calmly and proposed some payment arrangement. I think people just want to know that you are having legitimate problems and not trying to ditch out on paying your bills.

Best of luck, Jillian. You are doing great, so please don't let this bump in the road derail you.

Hugs,

Delfin
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Sounds like you're living paycheck to paycheck, a stressful cycle that often never ends. The only way to get out of that trap is cut your expenses or earn more money. You mentioned a truck payment. Not passing judgement here but trucks are very expensive to own, especially full sized ones. Unless you really need it for work and it makes you money. If ur serious about getting out of debt, maybe let it go and get a small used car. Or bike to work. Or car share. I'm serious. You will save a fortune. Then payoff the other debts. You will be amazed how much less stress you have when you're debt free.
Thanks everyone for your kind words and advise. This too shall pass. This is just another reminder as to why I can't go back to drinking.

As far as my truck Advbike, it was once paid off, then I got a loan, probably because I was out of beer money. But it's almost paid for again and the payment is not even $250; and we definitely use it all the time. I haven't had cable for 8 years and cut out garbage service so there's an expense I don't have.

I'm just playing catch up from past bad behaviors. And I hope to get a raise soon, lol!

I know things will get better just a waiting game.

Years ago I linked my accounts to Mint - a financial tracker - but never followed it or anything because of the alcohol consumption/spending. I've never been good at budgeting. Now is the best time to learn!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It may take a little while, but you will get out of this and start saving money
This is what I look forward to. Another motivational factor to stay sober.