Notices

Never sober...

Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never sober...

I've just realised that just because I don't drink during the day doesn't mean I'm not drunk 24/7.

My counsellor on Monday reminded me that it takes the body an hour to get rid of each unit of alcohol.

At the moment I'm drinking about 2 bottles of wine a night, starting at 6pm and finishing at 11pm, this works out about 21 units a night.

So 11pm + 21 hours = 8pm so basically alcohol is never actually out of my system... I'm just slowly processing it and topping it up again, constantly...

I'm shocked I've got to this stage, the thought of just "not" drinking one night is virtually impossible for me to contemplate.

God I can't wait till Friday, seeing my Dr and getting a date set for my home and dry detox.

My head is so foggy every day, I feel like I'm wading through mud just to function normally, I want a clear head, I want clarity, I want to be able to focus, I want to be able to remember my life and be present in it.

The end.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Why not make today a day 1 FF
Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there, foreverfuzzy! Getting medical advice is very smart. There's hope to get off the merry-go-round of alcohol for good!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You've talked about the doctor's appointment before and it's great you're getting medical advice. But I am worried that you are not going to keep the appointment or be able to understand he doctor's advice.

Am I right in assuming that you drank two bottles of wine after seeing your counsellor on Monday? And are you planning to get drunk today and tomorrow as well, leaving you with a big hangover on Friday morning when you're supposed to see the doctor?

A lifeline's been thrown. You have to be ready to grab it now before you sink any further.

Is there someone you can call today to get you to the doctor now?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
Alcohol addiction is a horrible experience to endure as it’s so progressive which usually makes today the best day in looking back.
In case you don’t know, alcohol is powerful, baffling and cunning.

It helps many that recover to think positive that we can overcome it on a daily basis one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 08-19-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate.

I'd gotten to that point for about a year and a half.

Now I am over a year and a half sober and life is so much better.

You can be free of this awful cycle.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy to hear you want to quit drinking. I hope you plan on not picking up a drink today. Can you go to the hospital to get detox help rather than waiting until Friday?

The sooner you get started the less chance of something more serious will not happen -- and the quicker you will start to feel better.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know about this.... how big are these bottles of wine? Two standard bottles of wine have about 4 units or drinks each. So it might not be as bad as you think it is! Good luck and it's great that you have a counselor!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought I couldn't do it either. But here I am 24 days sober. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been easy emotionally. You CAN do it. Just don't drink today and see what happens.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It could be dangerous to just stop as some are suggesting without medical help. If you don't keep your appointment at the doctors (which I urge you to do) then at least try to gradually cut down by starting an hour later each night.

Maybe on the first night substitute the 2nd bottle of wine for 2 beers, then on the second night only 1 beer and one bottle of wine. Then start drinking at 9pm instead of 6pm and just have one bottle of wine. When and if you can hold it at a bottle a night for a while you are entering into semi-normal drinkers behaviour and should be able to make a clean break from that point. The trick is to start as late as possible and make sure you have no other booze available and also to not congratulate yourself and think you deserve a night on 2 bottles again. That would be nonsense.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone.

I will be at the appt tmrw at 3.30, there is no way I will not go.

I've arranged to finish work early, my husband has to come too as he will be in charge of the meds I have to take for 5 days, apparently they can make me sleepy and forgetful so he has to ensure I take the right amount at the right time. Unfortunately I have to take my 2 children to the appt as well as its summer holidays but I've downloaded a new film for them from iTunes and they can watch it on their iPads with headphones so they won't hear what's happening. They think I'm just having a check up following my gastric bypass last year (I've lost 9 stone btw)...

Will update after appt tmrw.