Notices

Giving a try

Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving a try

I'm new here and have really appreciated the messages you all post with support. I'm just getting to the end of day two without drinking but it's start. Not easy as you all know. I sure hope to get myself out of alcohol prison. All the best to everyone.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on choosing sobriety -- and freedom.

You'll find lots of support here, hopeful54.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Hopeful!

D
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy to hear you have decide to quit drinking. You will find plenty of help and support here. Read this forum lots and post when you need to.

Keep sober... One day at a time!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Venecia!

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Welcome! Congratulations on choosing sobriety -- and freedom.

You'll find lots of support here, hopeful54.
I think this is going to be a very useful site for sure. Freedom does sound good.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aboard Hopeful!

D
I appreciate the welcome.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by ItWillBeWorthIt View Post
Happy to hear you have decide to quit drinking. You will find plenty of help and support here. Read this forum lots and post when you need to.

Keep sober... One day at a time!
One day at a time it is.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Hopeful, welcome!

I'm so pleased you found us. I found a lot of help and assistance from this forum.

It looks a long stretch ahead without alcohol. It's best to take 1 day at a time, break it into bite size pieces!

All the best, you will find a lot of help here.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, hopeful!

I'm only on day 28 myself but I can tell you this place has been a lifesaver for me. Lots of great advice and support! Stick around and post. We can do this together.

Delfin
Old 08-18-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Delfin

Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Welcome, hopeful!

I'm only on day 28 myself but I can tell you this place has been a lifesaver for me. Lots of great advice and support! Stick around and post. We can do this together.

Delfin
Appreciate it Delfin. Day 28 sounds great, congratulations! I quit for a month a couple of years ago, felt awesome, looked so much better, then got careless and went back to it. Don't want that again. We can do this together.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Hopeful, welcome!

I'm so pleased you found us. I found a lot of help and assistance from this forum.

It looks a long stretch ahead without alcohol. It's best to take 1 day at a time, break it into bite size pieces!

All the best, you will find a lot of help here.
I do like the forum already.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful54 View Post
Appreciate it Delfin. Day 28 sounds great, congratulations! I quit for a month a couple of years ago, felt awesome, looked so much better, then got careless and went back to it. Don't want that again. We can do this together.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Had just over a month too. I wish I could say I got careless. Just didn't want to accept that sobriety was the only solution to my problems. The siren song of moderation got me. Oh well, I lived and learned and now I'm back and accepting what I have to do.

Delfin
Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I can relate a lot to your experience. In my head, once I start feeling better, I'll stop working my programme and then my thought process is "I can look good, feel good, be productive at work etc AND drink occasionally like other people". And it goes downhill from there!

Glad you are here, you'll find amazing support :-)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hopeful day 2 is fantastic
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Careless

Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Had just over a month too. I wish I could say I got careless. Just didn't want to accept that sobriety was the only solution to my problems. The siren song of moderation got me. Oh well, I lived and learned and now I'm back and accepting what I have to do.

Delfin
Delfin, I misspoke big time in saying I was careless - I went with the "I can moderate" attitude too, and then my fridge was full of beer. Live and learn. At least we know how good it feels to be away from it right?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
Welcome!

I can relate a lot to your experience. In my head, once I start feeling better, I'll stop working my programme and then my thought process is "I can look good, feel good, be productive at work etc AND drink occasionally like other people". And it goes downhill from there!

Glad you are here, you'll find amazing support :-)
JaneLane, yep, I went from doing well to one night of beer drinking. Then I was buying it by the truckload! Don't want to do that again. It felt too good to be sober.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Hopeful54. Be patient and make a plan each morning for the day. And be realistic. At first I told myself that although I might drink tomorrow, I am not going to drink today. Sounds hokie but it works - give it a shot. Your sleep will be compromised at first but the feeling of being clear-headed in the morning will very soon give you such pleasure even though you might be a bit tired. So preferable to hung over. Anyway Hopeful, welcome and I am so happy for you. What a gift you have given yourself.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Hopeful day 2 is fantastic

Thanks sober wolf. I like your quote!
Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Broncosys View Post
Welcome Hopeful54. Be patient and make a plan each morning for the day. And be realistic. At first I told myself that although I might drink tomorrow, I am not going to drink today. Sounds hokie but it works - give it a shot. Your sleep will be compromised at first but the feeling of being clear-headed in the morning will very soon give you such pleasure even though you might be a bit tired. So preferable to hung over. Anyway Hopeful, welcome and I am so happy for you. What a gift you have given yourself.
Broncosys,

Thanks so much for the message. I do like your advice for a plan each morning. The sleep is off for sure but to be expected. Evenings are tough but just keep thinking how I don't want to feeel hungover in the morning.
have to keep trying.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The fact that you already know evenings are tough is great. When you can identify your challenge window, the window starts to shrink almost immediately. Mine was 3-7 and now it is 4-6. As to my suggestion for making a daily plan, I did not mean to be vague. Today, my plan is to rise, work, drive home and have a very quick snack, change, get groceries, then a 90 minute walk. That will take me to 7, past my window, and I know I am golden after that. Simple.