Notices

2 weeks, observations and concerns

Old 08-17-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks, observations and concerns

Apologies to the veterans of this board who must get tired of seeing the same stuff repeated over and over by newbies and the freshly-sober. I mentioned in my intro the other day that I was drinking heavily, taking benzos and opioids (not consistently or long term) and eating absolute garbage. I dumped all that stuff cold turkey when I moved home, 13 days ago. The first 12 days were actually super easy. Last night was my first bout of insomnia. My brain just wouldn't shut off until past 7 am this morning. Today I have sweaty palms and feet and I'm a little chilly considering it's almost 90 outside. My kidneys took almost 10 days to start functioning normally again, even drinking close to a gallon of water a day. I think that I was dangerously close to shutdown or infection. My digestive system has still not returned to normal, but I assume that will come with time? I'm eating super healthy and have almost completely cut refined sugar out as well. Until this past weekend, I was working out every day. Friday night I think I started catching some kind of a cold/strep. There were some white spots in my throat and an itch, but it appears that my newly functional immune system actually beat that back because today my throat feels fine. The only thing that sucks is the heart arrythmia. I usually only had that when I was super dehydrated on a week-long bender. I was surprised to feel it happening after 12 days of nothing but hydration. Unfortunately, I have no insurance at present so I kind of have to wait it out unless it becomes painful or a nuisance. Is all this stuff pretty much normal? I've been reading a LOT of info on recovery but it seems everyone is different.

Mentally, I feel better than I have in years. Still have some brain fog but the depression, anxiety and despair that I've been living with for so long evaporated almost overnight when I stopped. Is this all pretty much par for the course?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It takes time.

Seriously, everything you describe is really common. Keep doing what you're doing and accept that part of it is that anxiety (suddenly feeling sensations and thoughts) skyrockets in early sobriety.

Suddenly I could feel stuff. All. The. Stuff. - stuff I had been successfully numbing with alcohol. The nervous system is on high alert.

All these things will most likely pass, and are completely normal.

Have you ever tried meditation? It's really good for slowing down your racy brain.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi SIO -

Congrats on 2 weeks. It's quite an accomplishment.

We're not allowed to give medical advise. It did take me a while for everything to heal - I had abused it for a long time.

I have never had any heart issues, but I did notice some other physical issues that I've had before pop up before I felt totally better physically.

If you are feeling concerned talk a doctor at a clinic and avoid "doctor google," who can make a splinter sound like it requires a trip to the ER.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Have you ever tried meditation? It's really good for slowing down your racy brain.
Yes and no. I've done it quite a few times, it's just something that I can't seem to remember as an option. I'm actually reading a book right now called "10% Happier - How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story" which is all about meditation. I just haven't gotten past the first few chapters.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi SoberinOhio. Congratulations on 13 days clean and sober

I had all your symptoms except the arrhythmia - if that persists I would see a doctor for a check up
Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For what it's worth I'm on day 6 now and keep waiting for recovery. I've been exercising every day but have such a feeling of despair and just don't feel like I will ever return to myself. I drank a liter of vodka a day for a long time. I am not going to start again but am a little concerned how long it is taking to come around.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SIO and soberforbaby: I had many of those same symptoms. Do what you feel is right from a medical perspective.

I had severe heart palpitations today at work but they went away with a good cry on my way home. I think I was just overly stressed. Either way, only you know what's going on with your body and whether or not it feels really wrong.

Congratulations on day 13!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's a little pathetic but yes, bawling my eyes out (which I've done pretty much every day and for hours on day 2) helped me too. Dropped my rapid heart rate. I guess it is a defense mechanism that does help.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure the heart thing is just potassium and water levels finally coming back to normal for the first time in... years. I'm not really having cravings, but I was just kinda fed up with the whole experience anyway. I did have a weird moment last night. I was walking downtown for some music in the square and I could smell beer from across the street inside a bar with no windows or doors open. I smelled it before I noticed there was even a bar, I haven't lived here in 14 years. Crazy.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be a rough ride for a while. If your symptoms persist or get worse, go see your doctor.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here with us -

Elaborating on what Bim posted I know for me it was like - gee, what's going to happen? Oh, my elbow is numb - oh my gosh, my elbow is numb - what the heck is going on with my elbow?!??! Oh, It was on hard surface while I typed an cut out the blood flow. whew, that was close.....

Wait, is my blood flow normal - holy crap, is my blood flow speeding up, or slowing down??!! Oh my gosh my elbow is numb again!!!

Please understand, I am NOT poking fun at you more myself. We all go thru things initially and in recovery we want to know where we are on the bell curve.

It's funny that in recovery I was so concerned about what was going to happen but when drinking a fifth of vodka coulda cared less........

Thanks for the reminder post. We are all rowing in the same boat!!!
peace