opinions wanted

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

opinions wanted

My wife is currently in a treatment facility for alcoholism...it's a 35 day program and she's 21 days in a doing very well.....I miss her a lot and it's been tough being without her but I know it's for the best in the long run so I deal with it...she's allowed to come home on weekends and all week I look forward to seeing her and spending the weekend with her.... I pick her up Friday and take her back Sunday(we live 2 hours from the facility)....next weekend she doesn't want to come home....she wants to go to a hotel for a girl's weekend with another lady she's met while in treatment.....am I being unreasonable in not wanting her to go?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scary as it sounds, the answer is yes.

What is something you could do nice for yourself that weekend she is with the girls? What have you long been neglecting because you've been dealing with an alcoholic partner?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
Scary as it sounds, the answer is yes.

What is something you could do nice for yourself that weekend she is with the girls? What have you long been neglecting because you've been dealing with an alcoholic partner?
Thanks Code.....I'll give it some thought......on weekends when she drank it was seldom to excess(she did most of her heavy drinking alone when I was at work) so the weekends were always pretty good...I guess that's part of the reason I'm having a tough time with her not wanting to be home with me.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i don't mean to contradict CodeJob but i got an almost visceral reaction to her

a) NOT wanting to come HOME having been gone 3 weeks
b) wanting to go to a HOTEL for a girl's weekend instead

she's just barely 3 weeks sober and wants to go "play" all weekend unsupervised at a hotel? is that really the PURPOSE of her treatment protocol? already thinking she DESERVES a treat?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, the "girls weekend" could be one of two things. Either she's having a bonding experience with someone to celebrate and cement their recovery, or they are planning to drink without consequences.

Either way, your getting upset about it doesn't help anything. What have you been doing for yourself while she's at rehab? Are you learning about alcoholism? Going to Al-Anon meetings? Thinking about what kind of boundaries you might need to have in place?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, the "girls weekend" could be one of two things. Either she's having a bonding experience with someone to celebrate and cement their recovery, or they are planning to drink without consequences.

Either way, your getting upset about it doesn't help anything. What have you been doing for yourself while she's at rehab? Are you learning about alcoholism? Going to Al-Anon meetings? Thinking about what kind of boundaries you might need to have in place?
No doubt in my mind that it's to celebrate recovery....this is all very new for both of us so I've been doing a lot of reading here and have been to some open AA meetings with my wife....both have really helped me understand.....as for al-anon, I've looked into it online...not sure it's for me.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scottw88 View Post
No doubt in my mind that it's to celebrate recovery....this is all very new for both of us so I've been doing a lot of reading here and have been to some open AA meetings with my wife....both have really helped me understand.....as for al-anon, I've looked into it online...not sure it's for me.
May I ask why not? Your wife has a support system through rehab and AA. It's equally important for you to have some support for yourself. I suspect you might have more in common with us Alanon folks than you think.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sure we have lots in common....I have a some close friends who have been through the same thing and we talk frequently....if I feel the need for more support I'll certainly look harder at alanon.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's another thing to consider. You've been going to meetings with her. You're hurt because she's going away with a recovery friend this weekend instead of coming home to you.

Recovery is going to suck up a LOT of her time and energy once she gets home, assuming it "takes." It sounds as if you want to help and encourage her, which is nice, but there really isn't a whole lot for you to DO in this situation.

Going to Al-Anon will help you to keep the focus where it belongs--on you, not on her and what she's doing/not doing. Living with someone in recovery requires a shift of focus and doing things that may seem counterintuitive. Al-Anon can be a great help navigating these unfamiliar waters.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Scott---I am going to be very direct with you on this matter---don't be surprised if the post rehab time proves to be more stressful than the actual active drinking time.
I say this because it almost always comes as a shock....because. for so long, it may have been that it is felt that if "they would just quit drinking" that all of the problems will evaporate and the alcoholic will be soo grateful and apologetic, and the happy domestic scene will finally materialize.

The reality is that the spouse will need just as much support for the changes as the alcoholic does. You will have to do as m uch changing as she does....and, we all know that change is not something that we humans like....
The person that you knew before rehab was organized around the alcohol as a coping device. And, consequently, your relationship was organized around the alcoholism---otherwise, the relationship could not have continued the way it did.
Take away the alcohol and the effects will be felt in all corners of the relationship---and that can really throw people for a loop.......really.....

Now, I have said all this....and I may be singing to the choir....if so---just ignore me.
I just don't want you to be bumschwaggled when she gets home.....

dandylion
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Scott---I am going to be very direct with you on this matter---don't be surprised if the post rehab time proves to be more stressful than the actual active drinking time.
I say this because it almost always comes as a shock....because. for so long, it may have been that it is felt that if "they would just quit drinking" that all of the problems will evaporate and the alcoholic will be soo grateful and apologetic, and the happy domestic scene will finally materialize.

The reality is that the spouse will need just as much support for the changes as the alcoholic does. You will have to do as m uch changing as she does....and, we all know that change is not something that we humans like....
The person that you knew before rehab was organized around the alcohol as a coping device. And, consequently, your relationship was organized around the alcoholism---otherwise, the relationship could not have continued the way it did.
Take away the alcohol and the effects will be felt in all corners of the relationship---and that can really throw people for a loop.......really.....

Now, I have said all this....and I may be singing to the choir....if so---just ignore me.
I just don't want you to be bumschwaggled when she gets home.....

dandylion
What you've said makes a lot of sense......thank you
Old 08-18-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Al-Anon stretches your mind in beautiful and surprising ways

Hi Scottw88, just wanting to agree with those who are encouraging you to give Al Anon a try. To begin with, you don't have to say much but it's so helpful to listen to others. You could stay quiet for as long as you want - no-one will mind. Now your wife is in recovery, there will be lots of unforeseen changes in your relationship which is to be expected. Having contact with an Al Anon group helps greatly because things don't always run smoothly for the person supporting another in recovery........... BTDT
Old 08-18-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh I agree with you Anvilhead! But there's no stopping an addict. If she's looking to relapse it will happen at the hotel or it will happen at home...

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i don't mean to contradict CodeJob but i got an almost visceral reaction to her

a) NOT wanting to come HOME having been gone 3 weeks
b) wanting to go to a HOTEL for a girl's weekend instead

she's just barely 3 weeks sober and wants to go "play" all weekend unsupervised at a hotel? is that really the PURPOSE of her treatment protocol? already thinking she DESERVES a treat?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SW- These people here are very wise. Take their advice. An addict needs to Grow up, Sober up and Work a program, its not only about drinking. There is a huge commitment that she will have to commit to for her to stay sober. It will be a very trying time for both of you. Alanon teaches you to mind your own business and to let the addict do her stuff. It teaches you how not to hover over her and watch everything she does.

You don't trust her and her actions already have you questioning what she is doing. Nothing is going to stop her and it is sad that she doesn't want to spend time with you. But you have no control over her. Work your program, educate yourself give her to GOD!!! Sorry
Old 08-19-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Scott, you might find this thread helpful in understanding why we, the partners/spouses/friends/children of the A, need education and support every bit as much as the A does:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-healing.html

Wishing you strength and clarity.