Notices

Counting down the days...

Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting down the days...

Hi all!

I'm on day 24. The nightmares, shakiness, and body aches have stopped. I still have headaches, cravings and I'm so irritable!! I, as I'm sure many of you said for so long, "I only drink at night so I'm not an alcoholic." I now realize that's not true. I'm 33 and It was every night for the last 7 yrs or so. Not sure if it matters but my mother has been an alcoholic her entire life. She left me when I was a baby so I didn't see any of it but I'm sure it was passed down to me... Or is that an excuse? One day I just woke up and said that's enough. I have no plan. I'm just taking it one day at a time. I joined the gym to tone up and I'm trying to eat more healthy and get good sleep. Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.
xo
Old 08-17-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR bellamiaa. You will find a ton of support here - take advantage when you need it! Congratulations on 24 days!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello .
Nice to meet you
Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bellamia, Welcome to the forum. YOu will find a lot of support here. I do personally believe that there is a hereditary aspect to alcoholism and think that a lot of medical professionals agree. Unfortunately, whatever the reason, you have come to realize you are one and so taking this step to quit is fantastic.
Some people just decide and that's that. I hope it is that way for you. That said, I would still start to put together a plan, even a loose one, just in case. Better to be prepared rather than find yourself right back at square one.
Best of luck to you. I'm sorry for the reason for your being here, but glad to have you nonetheless.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! Everyone on this forum is so supportive! I'm liking it
Old 08-17-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi bellamiaa well done on 24 days sober!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bellamiaa!

Nice to meet you.

I know exercise improved my disposition immensely.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bellamiaa, to SR; glad you found us.

Congratulations on 24 days of sobriety.

I echo Mera's suggestion to have a plan handy.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 24 days!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Great to meet you.

Congrats on 24 days
Old 08-17-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Bella and welcome. Congrats on 3+weeks! That's awesome!

I had a hard time trying to figure out a plan and what good it would do, but finally gave in.
I think having a plan would help you with your journey
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on day 24! One day at a time is all everyone needs to think about.

Wishing you well!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Bellamiaa - Welcome! We're glad you're here. 24 days is a great accomplishment. Just remember, if you have cravings, they're a mood. And moods pass. I've recently tried to get over it by taking a hot bubble bath, drinking my favorite hot tea, and listening to relaxing music. That helps. And when that doesn't help, if I can go to bed early, I do. Usually by the next day I'm ok.

Stay strong!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Try to get some extra support. I've had some luck with AA meetings. I think they like newcomers. They enjoy giving advice and when I see these people with 10 and 20 years sober I listen. I found most to be helpful and nice, and it's also nice hearing them talk about their own experiences. It's weird because so many times I'm like, man, I thought or did the same thing
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so happy to have you with us, Bella. Posting here really helped me with the anxiety I had in the early days of recovery. It's good to know others understand what we're going through.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Bellamiaa. Welcome. Just want to echo what others have said about having a plan in place. Without one, I managed to stay sober for 2 months - twice. With one, I'm almost at 8 months and am fully committed to my sobriety.

For me, when I created my plan, it made me think about how serious I was about quitting - which forced me to work through some tough issues about how I was going to change my life. And the secret to sobriety, IMHO, is embracing that change and finding a way to living a better life as a result.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again bellamia

I think wherever our alcoholism comes from, the good news is we can handle it by not drinking, and live happy fulfilled lives

One day at a time is a good way to go. but I always recommend a plan as well.

What exactly is a recovery plan?
We have a excellent post at the top of the forum on this, but it's important enough to reiterate some of the main points

Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! And thank you Dee for the post. I was just about to ask how to go about getting a plan and saw your post! I will work on that this week!
xo
Old 08-17-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all your hard work!

I've found a loose plan (like don't sit at home alone in my apartment at night when I used to drink) is really needed.

I came up with some options. A club. A music performance. The library. Anything so I can get my behind end out of the chair and moving before I decide to move my elbow to my mouth.

Good for you. Glad to meet you.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 40.
I woke up feeling hungover. I had night sweats and nightmares all night. What a bad feeling! I feel like I did after drinking the night before. Is this withdrawals? I haven't experienced this feeling since days 1-7. Yuck
xo