Notices

Working and sweating

Old 08-17-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Working and sweating

Okay so I'm starting over. Longest I lasted this past time was 4 days. Every single morning, though, I woke up drenched in sweat. For those of you who had night sweats, how long did they last? I want to be able to wake up dry AND sober for once.

One more thing:
How does everyone else deal with working while becoming sober? I can't just take off of work. I also know I'm not going to feel up to par during this. I already don't feel up to par, and I fear it will get worse during this time. I don't want my job or anything else to suffer. I'm just worried all the way around. If I could just disappear for a week and be completely away from everyone I knew, that would be so much easier in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi PowerFlower

Night sweats lasted about 4-7 nights (same time again every time I relapsed regardless of volume)

I was tired at work for 3 solid weeks. However sober is better than hungover no matter what the withdrawal.

One day I just felt better. You may take a different length of time and every day builds on the previous day.

Keep with it. Live a normal life and don't hide away.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi powerflower
There's not much to do for it but just get through best you can - if thats not an option, then you'll really need to see a Dr sick days or not.

D
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I kind of wish I did have work to go to. I am finding being sat alone with just my thoughts can make for some really unhealthy thinking. I am working hard to counter this and of course I do appreciate working during this has many drawbacks too. I guess what I am saying is there is no ideal time or set of circumstances other than just doing it right now no matter what. It will be hard no matter the responsibilities or lack of. I do hope you can swing a few days to take a bit of time out to rest and pamper yourself though, just not so many you get stuck inside your thoughts.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Edit: Sorry!!! This was meant for the August class thread!!!!

Hi, I'm checking in. Today (was) day 16. I've been saving money, feeling mostly better physically, and mostly able to deal with things better. I can feel denial creeping in though. The "yay, I did it!" Is wearing off a bit. I know that's where it gets hard for me. I know I just have to keep doing what I'm doing and get used to it. I've never let myself get used to it before. That's all I have to share tonight. xo-B
Old 08-17-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are lots more yay I did it's to come bexxed. A whole sober life of them.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi powerflower, I don't have much to offer for the night sweats, but if you are sweating during the day I can highly recommend the following brand of antiperspirant/deodorant. It is the brand Lycia. I don't know if it is available where you are. I know it is not available widely in the US, my mom stocks up on it every time she visits in Italy because it is so amazing. Another benefit, it is also available in alcohol-free format. They also have the talc/powder that I have successfully used on my body (not just my armpits) which might be worth a try for the night sweats.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hope this helps you. Heavy binger here. You can do it.

I kept water, fruit, granola bars, food nearby always. SR directly on indirectly taught me that my pancreas was going crazy. That is why I was so tired.

Standing for long periods was hard. Getting up sometimes scared me.

Every day got better. It was a terrible suffering time.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Since I accidentally posted here, I'll reply to the original post. I had sweats when I actually did drink; maybe the first night too, but not since, so I can't offer anything. On the work front though, I can. I've managed to do this during a pretty crazy time at my already pretty stressful and demanding job. What I've done is drink way more water and coffee than I have since college, and almost forcibly at times reminded myself that the stress triggers to drink are actually just real life. Maybe this is just something personal for me but I feel like it might be something we all share a little bit. And real life is an imperfect gift that we have to get to know. It has good and bad. The good is, for me, not hung over mornings, my bank account growing, my cat being adorably annoying, my dishes getting done, my eyes looking clear, my communication at work getting better. The bad is deadlines, this angry spiteful old lady I work with, juggling ten things at once, the ramifications of an (honest) mistake I made at work a few months ago..... Drinking did not change the bad things in life but it did make the good seem bad. (Sorry for all the "good/bad") Anyway, if I'm making sense, what I hope you get from it is that holding the perspective, one day at a time, can help with dealing with work stuff. If you can. If your experience is like mine is, so far. It's not that easy, but when I keep it, I feel more sane than I have in years, which is not a euphoric feeling really... But a very powerful kind of grounded feeling. Take care and hang in there. -B
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I took a few sick days off from work the first week or so. The sweats lasted about that length of time. You'll feel better in a week or so, I'm betting.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had night sweats on and off for about two to three months. The longer out with sobriety, the less frequency of sweats.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Powerflower View Post

For those of you who had night sweats, how long did they last?
I had night sweats for a couple of weeks off and on.

Once at an AA meeting in early sobriety -- around two weeks -- I broke out into a terrible sweat. People were looking at me as if to say, "what the heck is going on with you." They actually probably thought that I had been out on a heavy bender.

MM
Old 08-17-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Everyone is different but maybe a few weeks to a month
Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

haven't drank for a week & that's one thing i'm thinking is great - no night sweats - luckily for me, stopped a day or 2 after no alcohol.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I had a horrible time sleeping last night. I maybe got 3, very much so interrupted hours of sleep. I didn't feel that bad this morning though. I took a shower and headed to work. Everything seemed okay until a couple hours in. I started to feel weird and nauseous. It has subsided thankfully.

Sundays are never that hard for me to not drink. Gotta work Monday and also recovering from the night before. It's going to be the next few days that will be much more difficult. I'm going to do the typical...had a long day at work and need a reward. But I'm pushing it hard this time. We are already working with a skeleton crew at work and they cannot afford for me to be out even one day right now. So I'll just have to tough through it.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Powerflower View Post
. We are already working with a skeleton crew at work and they cannot afford for me to be out even one day right now. So I'll just have to tough through it.
A good reason not to drink. But an even better one is because you deserve to be out of this horrible cycle once and for all. Stay strong. We are here when you need us.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am home from work. I almost stopped at the store but I switched lanes at the last second and kept driving. That was a hard move for me. Now the really hard part comes, this is the time I generally start drinking every night. Thankfully I am pretty tired from work today and can hopefully get a better night's sleep.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there!! Hope you're eating well and drinking a lot of water..
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay strong PowerFlower...it will be worth it! I stopped the night sweats after a short while. Drink lots of water, now soda, water. Try to put some healthy, nutrient-dense food in to your system. I ate a lot....A LOT....of ice cream. When I had a craving to drink, the ice cream gave me the sugar my body needed. The reality is that your body will get used over time to you not dumping so much sugar in to it from all of the alcohol. Your cravings will subside. Try to drive a different direction around your trigger places if you can. I also suggest getting rid of EVERYTHING in your house that reminds you of drinking. I got rid of all my openers and my drinkware. Making my home an alcohol-free and a safe zone for me was really key. Keep up the good work and keep posting
Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My sweats lasted 2 nights. First one being moderate, next one very light. I've had a couple binges in the past where I have been soaked. I don't want to discourage you, but the only way to get through it regarding your work, is to power through it, and you can. Once all the poison has been cleansed from your system you will feel great. As far as being alone for a week....if you are like me, at the end of the week, I'd still be on day one.