Notices

Hello , I'm new

Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello , I'm new

Not sure how to start my first post in here and it took me a lot of courage to come here . One thing I know , I need help and I need someone to talk to about my drinking problem , because I never spoke to anyone about the problem that I have . Not really sure how this forum works yet so I apologise . Not even sure what part of a forum I should share my story . Would be great if someone would guide me Thank you
Old 08-17-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, we are happy to have you.
This is a pretty good spot to reach out for help and share your story. There are other forums here as well but this seems to be one of the busiest spots.

You will find a ton of support here for your problem with alcohol. If you find yourself struggling it might also be wise to seek face to face help via AA or an addiction center.

Keep posting and have a look around at the posts of others. I learned so much from members both old and new.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can tell your story right here. You can also join the Class of August 2015 thread.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Lovely bunch in there and all at the early days of recovery.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gjess

this is a great forum to share your story - we're all very friendly here

D
Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Gjess! This is as good a place as any. I'm glad you finally admitted that you need to make a change. That takes courage! I commend you for taking a chance on sobriety. You'll find lots of help and support from folks who know what it's like to suffer from alcohol.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Welcome Gjess.
We were all new once.
Your courage is admirable.
Please keep coming back -- fear or no fear.
This is one of the best places to start your recovery.

All the best.
~dox
Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your warm welcome .
To start off I will say , my drinking problem started in my teens at around age of 17 . I was bullied at school and had anxiety and insomnia all my life . What started just a bottle of beer became litres of it in later stages of my life . I felt it gives me confidence when I drink , it felt that people like me more when I'm tipsy and I talk more , also I have a good sense of humour so life was fun at that time . I would drink only on weekends at first , but drinking was very heavy . I would wake up in the morning and swear that I will never drink again . At that time I used to have terrible hangovers and it would put me off alcohol for about couple of weeks until next time .... I got married at the age of 20 and and tried really hard to be a good wife , I worked and everything was great . But husband became very upset because of my drunk weekend nights . I would go to see friends and drink heavily until morning , than would sleep all day and be hangover for the rest of the day or even the next day . I became pregnant and all those 9 months I even didn't think about having a drink it was so easy at that time , until after he was born and turned 3 month I gone back to my bad habit . I was a great mum , good wife , house was clean , dinner cooked and everything seemed perfect ,except when I would go out to see my friends . I never been able to just have 1 drink , if I taste it , I would drink and drink sometimes to the point that I throw up . I always tried to hide the amount I drink , my child never seen me drinking heavily because I would do it at nigh or late evening when he is asleep . later on , when I was 25 , me and hubby divorsed and I moved out with my son to a different country to start a new life . Again everything was great , I was working in 2 jobs and every 2 weeks me and co workers would go to the pub and get wasted after work . Sometimes go clubbing , getting really drunk , not remembering things the next day , embarrassed and feeling worthless the next day . I had a new life partner at the time and he didn't look too much concerned about my drinking as probably he never realised how much I really drink . Years went , and my binge drinking wasn't getting worse at that time yet but my anxiety grew and coping with it became very hard . I got pregnant with my second boy and again , I didn't touch a drink for all those 9 months and I felt great . He was born and after 2 month I would again go and get wasted with my friend in the late evening . From this time my life changed to worse . I was and still am a great mum and a good wife , my home is perfect and dinner is always ready but... I was feeling depressed and lonely because few friends that I had moved out far away so I had almost no social life left . Hubby started working more and more and I would stay at home with kids all alone for the most of the time . I drowned deeper and deeper into sadness and my little boy started getting problems and later on will be diagnosed with autism . Life was hectic , I was tired and nervous wreck . I bought a bottle of wine one day and thought I would have a glass at night when kids are asleep and would watch a movie or something. It was the first time I had a drink alone , it felt weird but I liked it . The bottle was empty in no time but it was enough at the time . I started doing it more and more , bottle of wine once a week in late evening , than it turned into 2 bottles in one evening . In few month time I caught myself drinking 3 or 4 times a week 2 bottles of wine each time . As for now , I find myself in this circle and I just want to get out . Those craving for wine are extreme and I can't end up with one bottle anymore , there was one day when hubby went out with kids to see his family and stayed there for the night . I was very happy to stay at home alone so I can drink without hiding . I ended up drinking 4 bottles of wine that day . I couldn't believe my eyes when I woke up the next morning . I felt so ashamed and guilty . Hangover was unbearable . I just want to stop and don't want to touch another wine glass any more . Yesterday I got rid of all my wine glasses , threw anything alcohol related to the bin and I'm ready to start fresh . I'm worried about social situations when I used to drink , I don't want to explain anyone why I can't drink and what happened to me . I don't want anyone to know about my drinking problem and I want to recover alone without involving other people , that's just my wish . I am very ready , and I hope this step joining a group will help me to cope . I'm sorry , this story is all over the place , never told this to anyone so it's kinda hard to even type it and admit it to someone .
Thank you for support and for reading this .
Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I slipped into the more and more wine habit too. Doing this alone will be very hard. Not saying impossible but very very hard. There are those here with far better advice than me so I will stay stick close to us here at SR, especially those moments you are tempted to drink.

Congratulations on your first step to recovery.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not worry too much about the future...for now staying sober a day is a great goal

Things have a way of working out - I thought I would have to endlessly explain everything to everyone...

but most people really are fine with a 'no thanks, I don't drink'

D
Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Gjess
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome, Gjess.
I bet you feel better getting your story out...and even better knowing that your story is not new to some of us. Alcohol seems to 'sing a familiar' tune to many people. We all have 'danced' to it until we could no longer do it anymore.
Here we decide to make a change in our lives and we admit it without any judgement from one another. We all support you day by day to get you to where you want to go. Start with a simple one day at a time plan! ♡CR
Old 08-17-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep posting, Gjess. Let us know how you are doing. Good people here.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great start!
Welcome! This is an amazing place! Lots of support and shared experiences here!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gjess

Sounds like a very good start. You've spoken your truth and you've thrown away the wine and glasses.

People don't really have to be told anything other than, "No, thanks," if they ask you to drink.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gjess. You have a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

Great advice in all the above posts!

Look at each sober day as the great accomplishment that it truly is.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Gjess, and I am so glad you are here. I think we worry to much about what people think, or know, or may think they know. When I quit, no one cared that I did not drink. I just said I don't drink, thanks. Some of my family were like, you quit? Yep, I don't drink anymore. That was all there was to it. When I quit I was in a back brace and could not drive. SR was and is my only support, and it has been amazing. I have never posted for help without people responding, and as I read about others, I knew I was not alone. Good job on getting rid of the alcohol. Your life will be so much better without it. Hang in there, post often and know we care. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I, too, drank copious amounts of wine. It was a living hell.

SO glad to see you here !
Old 08-17-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Really nice to meet you Gjess
Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi gjess! Welcome! I relapsed after 13 months of sobriety when my son was 3 months. I'm back at it but it's hard going. You can do this. Read and post often.

Wishing you well.