Notices

War is over!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

War is over!

Had a great meeting this morning and just wanted to share. The lady spoke about a close friend she lost to this addiction, the story was so sad but could be anyone of ours. it made me think how very little i think about the effects my alcoholism has on others closest to me, my last drink could be the end of it for me. Before my relapse I was sober 13 months and it made me think how little i had learned in that time. Sober a little over a month and I know my arse needs kicked into touch where this is concerned.

I might never get another shot at this. Instead of fighting I surrender. There's nothing to fight anymore.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand when you use the word "war is over". I don't need to fight with myself or prove to myself that I am not an alcoholic... I am one.... and I am fine with that. This way I don't ever have to try to moderate or take a first sip.

I had 7 years, and I had 5 years once... and I have had 2 years... but this time, I do realize that I am an alcoholic, I didn't admit that before. This time, I realize how serious alcoholism is... and know I can't have one sip.

Surrender is a good word to describe it... and so is acceptance... and so is the understanding that you need to work on your recovery and do whatever it take to not pick up that first drink.

Recovery is an ongoing process and this time I am dealing with depression and anxiety with my additions psychiatrist, something I had without drinking and it was never dealt with.

Wishing you and everyone that has a drinking problem the very best... the sooner you get to that surrender /acceptance stage the sooner your life will be able to reach recovery and all the benefits and rewards that go along with it.

Life is SO much better when you live in a sober World... I love it.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are in a good place. I've realized this time around that I've got to put work into it. Working with a sponsor and trying to understand steps. Wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yep, there's no guarantee that if I go back out and drink today that I'll ever get another shot at this better way of life.

Thanks for your post and reminder of this gift of recovery that I've been given. Wishing you the best today.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post Foolsgold!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your amazing FG Congrats
Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 View Post
I might never get another shot at this. Instead of fighting I surrender. There's nothing to fight anymore.
This is brilliant. I will remember this quote.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree about the need to completely surrender. It took a long time but I am there. Anxiety and depression really bringing me to my knees as well though.
Lilly