Notices

How do you celebrate gratitude?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you celebrate gratitude?

Hi SR friends

Have been putting a lot of through into how I view my life.. and I have to be honest I focus on a lot of negatives sometimes.. I am a fighter, I am determine and I am definitely brave... but I cant seem to get past some things!

I am curious to know how you guys appreciate the little things in life, or the things we do have as compared to the things we don't?

PS nEXT saturday i have one month!!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mary, congratulations on one month!

I make gratitude a practice ... every morning (OK, well, most mornings, sometimes I forget), I sit quietly and write in my journal a list of things I'm grateful for that morning. I try to list at least 10 things ... sometimes it's just the tea in my teacup, my breakfast, the sunrise, anything.

The more I deliberately focus on things I'm grateful for, the more my gratitude increases.

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use the gratitude threads on SR morning & night to find something to be grateful for even during challenging days. You'd be amazed at how many things will pop in your head once you force yourself to only focus on the good. Makes for a good positive habit now.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Hi Mary, congratulations on one month!

I make gratitude a practice ... every morning (OK, well, most mornings, sometimes I forget), I sit quietly and write in my journal a list of things I'm grateful for that morning. I try to list at least 10 things ... sometimes it's just the tea in my teacup, my breakfast, the sunrise, anything.

The more I deliberately focus on things I'm grateful for, the more my gratitude increases.

Cheers!
This is great.. I always think it has to be big things but its so true.. just having things like tea is fantastic.

I will be writing a list in the morning!!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know! I guess I sit with a silly grin on my face!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mary,

Great question! In my experience, Gratitude in recovery is about awareness of my addiction and how far I have come since my bottom. The truest manifestation of that gratitude I can create is to be of service to someone who is at or near their bottom.

This may sound "goody two shoes" but in my experience service not only is a celebration of my gratitude, but serves to increase it. I volunteer at the local hospital's detox unit. I share my experience with the patients who are curious/interested in recovery. I try to convey that detox need not be the end of the world as they know it (that was my perspective when I was there) - but rather the beginning of a world they never dreamed possible. I don't know what percentage of people in that ward ever come to those meetings each week, or what percentage of the people who do ever get sober, but I do know a couple of people who have gotten and stayed sober as a result. It humbles me to be a small part of their sobriety - and it gives me hope for the next newcomer.

The simple truth is, I should be dead right now but I am not. I am not some sobriety super hero and never hope to be one - but I do believe that in some small way, I am leaving the world just a little bit better from being here. I am very fortunate and grateful to be sober today.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think its the lil things that make all the diffrence
Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mary - First of all, 30 days is great!

I appreciate the fact that you are searching for answers today about how you can be a better person, and are not drinking. And I appreciate the fact that I am sober and care.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As corny as it sounds, I like to do simple things. Stare at the moon for a few seconds, stretch out my arms in the rain while tilting my head upwards, watch a bird jump around on a power line, etc. Helps me balance myself, and retain perspective.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My wife and I keep a gratitude book beside our bed. Each night before we go to sleep we try to put down five or six things each that we are grateful for that day.

It's great to look back at the book together and helps us see difficult days in perspective. There is never a day when there's nothing we could be grateful for.

I think this habit helps our marriage stay strong.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I make a point every weekend, usually a Sunday morning to have some time on my own, just me a cup of coffee and a newspaper, and I reflect on things, even that in itself flags up how far I've come, as usually my weekends were consumed with drinking and hangovers, seeing a Sunday morning fresh was new to me when I got Sober.

There is soo much to be grateful for if we simply stop for a moment and consider!!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Gratitude saved my sobriety. Around three months I was struggling and not feeling much better, and someone suggested I start being grateful for my blessings. Now it's an ingrained habit to be grateful.

I celebrate gratitude by doing small things, like taking my beloved dogs for a walk or calling an old friend or family member. Or giving a compliment to someone.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
I make a point every weekend, usually a Sunday morning to have some time on my own, just me a cup of coffee and a newspaper, and I reflect on things, even that in itself flags up how far I've come, as usually my weekends were consumed with drinking and hangovers, seeing a Sunday morning fresh was new to me when I got Sober.

There is soo much to be grateful for if we simply stop for a moment and consider!!
You are so right.. weekends are what seems to be the strangest.. I find waking up sturdy and sunday feeling great is such a gift!Not worrying about what i did or who i hurt the night before.. so true
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gratitude is a huge part of my recovery. For me it is writing out things that we often take for granted... I post each morning and evening on the SR lists. When you read what others are posting you will remind yourself that many of the things they are listing you are grateful for as well.

Happy to hear you are close to reaching 30 days!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good thread, Mary. For me, I think it's being 'present'. It's easy to slip into the past or into the future and not be there fully present in the moment. I try to remind myself to stay in the moment.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I'm out and about, aware of my surroundings I can find myself being grateful for just about everything. Even that red stoplight for keeping us safe and a chance to just sit still and do nothing
Old 08-14-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love this thread!