Notices

Hi again

Old 08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi again

Been here before. My sobriety never lasts long. I am 63, and have drank my whole life. It did not become a problem until 2009. Drinking is normal for me. Somehow I have to accept a new normal at this age or die younger than I should. I went to the ER for the 5th time in 5 years last night. I didn't have much to drink (for me), but nauseated terrible. I know it is the drinking.

I am not sure how to develop a new life style. I am not sure if AA is right for me, I went to a couple sessions 6 years ago, but that was it.

Has anyone drank as long as I have, and quit? I know people that quit say in there 30's etc. I began at 16 with beers on the weekend. Then in my 20's a few drinks every night, skipping a night or 2 along the way. I was a bartender (of all things) so that helped me pick up the pace. I have been out of that business for many years, but the habits still there. I usually can drink around 20 oz of 80 proof whiskey a night. Somehow I have managed to keep my job.

I quit for a month around last Thanksgiving after being sick for days. Then started up at Christmas. I don't know what to do with myself otherwise.

I am on depression (Cymbalta) but am still missing something obviously since I look to drink.

Wouldn't be nice if there were a healthy alternative to make one feel better?

I begin yet again today to attempt to quit. I pray I can do something to turn my self around.

Thanks for any good wishes or similar experiences.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back coffeeboy

I drank til I was 40, but I was drinking round the clock, so I reckon if I can do it anyone can

I don't know what to do with myself otherwise.
That might be the crux of your problem I think.

what do you do with your days? have you considered something like a hobby or volunteering in your community?

What kind of a plan have you followed to try and not drink?

D
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are healthy alternatives to alcohol. I think that we all have to learn new ways to cope. Have faith that you can do this.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your antidepressants won't help you as long as you're drinking. Stop drinking and give the meds a chance to work.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Since this is day one again, no "real" plan. I am thinking about it now. I was once into photography big time, mostly my kids however. I had the big "pro" set up, but sold after kids were grown and needed some money at the time. So thinking about that as a hobby.

I probably need to do some counseling, I tried right after my divorce, but always had trouble talking about my weakness of drinking so much. That may be a good first step.

How long have you been sober?
Old 08-13-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

me? since 07

I had to rebuild my life from the ground up. I think it's vital that a sober life needs to be a happy and fulfilling one, or we'll go back to drinking...

D
Old 08-13-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi coffeeboy. My Dad finally got sober at 62 after drinking my entire life, and I'm 51. He's still sober at 73. He tried a few times before that but always went back. His drinking started out the same as most but the last 10 years before he stopped were the worst for him. He drank morning, noon and night. He also tried AA after detox, but didn't like it at all. Keeps himself busy with his boat and his friends.

I wish I had some great advice for you, but I'm still trying too. I do know that my father has become a better person after giving up the alcohol. Though he was lost for so long, and for a while after becoming sober....he found that he could make a new life by keeping himself busy with other things/any things and he hasn't looked back.

Have faith that you can do this. I'm rooting for you.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you again, Coffeeboy.

I drank for over 30 yrs. & I'm 7-1/2 years sober. I was like you - afraid of dying an early death. It wasn't even fun anymore - I was just numb & miserable. Counseling sounds like a great idea - just be straight up about everything so you can be helped. It sounds like you're ready to do this. Keep on posting, Coffee.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kgr

We're in your corner and here to support every step of the way. I too was in the ER and that was my low, so your story resonates deeply with me. I'm praying for you!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Mid 50's with 14 months sobriety......it's never too late. I meet new people daily in the rooms as old and older - many in their 60's. Saw gent pick up a 15 year chip in last few months, he's now 85.

We have a choice in terms of how we want to live the last part of our lives. I made a decision I'd like this season in my life to be sober.

I do attend meetings regularly. I enjoy the fellowship and follow the program. I have made several friends and we reach out to each other on a regular basis.

Anyone can get sober using the program of AA if they go that way. Us older guys are perfect for it, typically. We have learned (mostly) something about humility and following instructions.

If one is willing, honest and will keep an open mind they can be successful with AA. Simple program, but some of us want to complicate things or have contempt prior to investigation.

Anyway, sobriety is work but possible. Many my age, your age - older and younger. Our thing doesn't discriminate.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Coffeeboy!!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk coffeeboy
Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, I have only gone 48 hours and the only reason I quit again was getting sick to my stomach. I am thinking how bored I am. Even to watch a tv show, I always had a drink. I miss the drink. I know I need counseling if I am to continue. I hate to sound so stupid, but this is boring for me. Ok, I can walk my beloved dog, or watch some tv, then go to bed. It just seems so ho hum, and boring. I don't know how you all can just change, and not miss it.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did everything with a drink too.
It's not easy not to have that drink there, but it is possible, coffeeboy.

Replace the alcohol with sparkling water or something as healthy for a week or so, maybe?

D
Old 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I commend your courage and effort. Near the end of my deal, down time=drinkin time. Once I distanced myself enough to stabilize chemically, the rest was just the habit of what I was used to. Basking in front of the tube with a drink in my hand.

Do you enjoy reading, coffeeguy? -saved my life. I swear it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have not been a reader for years, for obvious reasons I suppose. Yes, poolside, watching a movie, reading a paper, surfing the net. I always had the drink nearby. One problem I have is that I can always just change and cut back. It actually works for a while, then gradually builds back up. We will see. I always convince myself I can control it if I want. The drink by my side has been a good friend of mine for years. lol!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Coffeeboy

I drank for over 25 years. Blackouts. Shots in the morning before work. All day drinking during the weekend. Drank so much I never really felt buzzed. It was a horrible trap. Drinking fueled my depression and anxiety. . .

I've been sober for almost 8 months and am committed to my sobriety full time. Exercise has helped. And so has therapy. To be perfectly honest, I didn't want to go, but I gave it a chance and it has worked . . I could go on and on, but the point is, I had to change. And I did (am).

But you've got to push all your chips in. Why don't you join me in a journey to sobriety? We both know the alternative is madness...

I wish you the best.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

all i can say is i know how you are feeling...
Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he Trust in God and clean house." - Bill Wilson (1898-1971) - Page 98, BigBook

Join us.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grandfather says the Eagle taught him that:

"In all living beings there is a courage, a strength, a daring that we do not know we have until suddenly we need It. And then, when we find out we're no longer the cowards that we thought we were, our hearts and minds are open and eager for what you might call ~~~ a miracle!"

"For all of us, Grandfather?"

"For All of us!"

(Grandfather in the movie "Heidi" from the book by Johanna Spyri )