Notices

I want to hear your negative side effects from quitting

Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to hear your negative side effects from quitting

I have abstained from drinking since august first. It has not been difficult but I am not cocky. It just seemed to work this go but other times failed miserably. I attribute it to "feeling the fear" of death because it was certainly knocking.

im just about two weeks in and i've already received compliments on my appearance and my appetite has decreased dramatically which is very welcome as i gained a lot of weight from drinking.

The reason I am posting is because besides the great effects of not drinking there has been one negative side effect.

since about 3 days after august first I cannot get an erection. I never had this problem before and its definitely not psychological. I suspect its either hormonal, nerve damage, brain chemicals stabilizing after alcohol abuse.

I want to hear your experiences with your husbands or yourself after quitting alcohol and if eventually you recovered your erections after continual abstinence.

tl;dr i quit drinking and my penis stopped working and i want to hear your stories and if you recovered or not.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Felt

I'm not sure what makes you think this problem isn't psychological?

I think you need to give your self more than 2 weeks to recover.

I really underestimated the amount of damage to mind and body that 20 years of drinking can do.
It took me a long time for mind and body to recover.

If time goes on and nothing changes, if it's really concerning you, why not see a Dr?

You can also check out the Mens Room forum for similar threads.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mens-room

D
Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi dee74

thanks for the link! i tried the search bar but i could not find anything relating to it sorry for the redundant post!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree, two weeks is a short time. As for me, I'm only five days in, but negative side effects so far have been anxiety attacks, over irrational things.
Sleeping either nothing or 18 hours.
But I haven't been sick in a week, when I'm usually sick every other day. Often, until my throat bleeds and my gallbladder over acts. So positives outweigh, for sure.
Not pretty.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those are definitely some heavy problems! Keep up the good work! hopefully you're going about it in a safe manner?
Old 08-13-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't chasing you off - just that there are some threads down there

D
Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! ive been reading your responses on some of them. I take it you have some sort of experience with all of this?
Old 08-13-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

just noticed you're a moderator. i dont use forums much haha
Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the opposite happen to me. Daily heavy drinking absolutely killed my libido. Alcohol suppresses testosterone production in a man, so when I quit, my hormones went into overdrive
Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Feltthefear View Post
Thanks! ive been reading your responses on some of them. I take it you have some sort of experience with all of this?
to be honest, my penis was the last thing on my mind when I quit, lol.

I'd been celibate for many years, simply because I was such an end stage drinker - getting sober, it took everything I had not to drink.

Later on I got into a relationship, with no problems

I understand why this concerns you but I think a little time will really help

D
Old 08-13-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My libido has returned somewhat, but my issues are fatigue, a slight ball of anxiety that seems to site right in the middle of my chest below my breastplate, irritability and some cravings from time to time.

I'm single, so for now, sex is the last thing on my mind. I need some serious sober time before I decide to reacquaint myself with that aspect of my life.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

2 weeks is still early days in the grand scheme of things, the body needs to adjust in many ways both physically, mentally and emotionally.

Give your body a chance to repair, for me this meant from years of drinking, and that couldn't be done in a matter of weeks, the body goes at it's own pace, but it'll get there!!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I had the opposite happen to me. Daily heavy drinking absolutely killed my libido. Alcohol suppresses testosterone production in a man, so when I quit, my hormones went into overdrive
people's bodies work in different ways, for example ive read some people gain weight while others lose weight.

super disconcerting considering ive never had a problem until immediately after quitting.

a post on sr has inspired me to continue because it cleared up for them after several months so that makes me feel better. we take so much for granted until you're defenseless to stop something.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I dont know what negative side effects from stopping drinking are. Facing tne consequences? Yup.
If not getting a erection is your only problem ya got it pretty dam good.
I wanted to die so concerns about a boner was the farthest thing from my mind.
See your doctor.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Have you tried seeing your doctor???
Old 08-16-2015, 02:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey,

I'm pretty sure you'll eventually find that it IS psychological. Erection problems usually are. More sober time and you'll be having such a blast it'll return stronger than ever
Old 08-16-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

ftf
welcome to the forum
My libido was real 'wonky' before and after my quit, add to that 20+ yrs marriage and a wife who swears now that everynight around 9 pm the entire globe is instantly 100 f with 100 percent humidity.
I'd give it sometime and if in a couple of months , you still have concerns see/ask a doctor.
Great decision on quitting, check in often , ask, post, read
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. 18 days in im really chewing ppl out when while drinking i would let anything fly. I dont know if people around me are stupid or if im just irratble from not drinking.

penis still feels numb and lifeless down there but i was able to force a mediocre erection, which is something i havent been able to before. if people read or not its fine i think im going to keep posting on here to keep a diary of sorts.

birthday is coming up and im worried i might just give in.

thanks to all sharing on this post. I really appreciate it btw.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

I think it takes more than 18 days to get stupid, so they either had a leg up on it or the little spoiled brat that lives in your mind, the one that feels like it's being deprived is making the rest of you irritable, or a combination of both.
Hang in there , tell the brat it's not a deprivation , it's a life changing choice.
You got this
Old 08-18-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

what is hard about this not drinking bit... kiddo ... I watched my Pop from 1956 to his death in 1999 drive off his friends shut down his family and never know how great this life really could be.. now Iam 65 have not had a drink in 15 years... found this great group of silly people just last year.. and every so often .. like today.. I miss my Pop so much.. want to take that drink that stops the hurt and puts me to sleep to not dream but to forget for a bit.. and yet I will not why because kiddo and beans I am stronger then that bottle and that hurt and I will not Can Not and Stand Firm in my Faith that I will go past my 69th year and have my Daughter and Sons to hug in Jan 2020 to woot woot with and Praise the Lord to the Heavens.. and know my Pop will be standing off to the side with a smile and a well done arda well done.... sorry long day.. wish I had had the camera of today back then in August of 1999 for my Mom and Pops 50th wedding anni.. and would havehim on video. like I do Mom... prayers all and love so much love .. Beans you just keep on keepin on and hold that line tight for the ride does not get easier . no sir re.. it does not.. ardy