Notices

If I would have drank

Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If I would have drank

Today is day 84 for me and I thought about this scenario driving home from my girlfriends this morning. I went to a concert last night at a venue I'd gotten wasted at 2 years ago. To the point where I lost my group and somehow got an $80 cab right home, on top of the $100 spent at the venue for beer.

If I would have drank last night I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the music I was there to hear, I would have been focused on how full my can was. I couldn't have enjoyed the people I came with or even those around me, even the ones who had obviously drank way too much. I wouldn't have gotten up this morning at 8 and made a little money driving for Uber. I wouldn't have saved the money not spent on booze, or the possible legal consequences for driving home drunk.

Thought I would share this today I'm feeling a lot of gratitude for not having to wake up with the extreme anxiety and self loathing from a night out. I have been slightly struggling lately approaching the 90 day mark. Mostly my temper has been very short and my short term memory seems to have worsened. But I know it's a marathon not a sprint and I'm grateful for the improvements in my life that have already come my way. Thanks for reading hope all of you have a wonderful day.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on day 84 and thanks for the post. I can definitely identify with all those nights I had with big plans like concerts where I mostly ended up focusing on my drinking.

Keep on keeping on, simplex!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great that you didn't drink. I can relate to this. I've always had trouble controlling my consumption at concerts. The money it costs to keep up an alcohol habit is absolutely insane, especially at an event like that. Also, it's much harder to remember all the fun you had if you're wasted. I'm sure you were able to appreciate the music so much more. Keep fighting. 84 days is amazing. I've never made it that far so I am always inspired when people who have made it past the 2 month mark post their continued success.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Very nice.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 84, thats great! What concert did you go to? Was it incubus/deftones? I live in Acworth and noticed you're not too far! Small world.

I've often wonder how I will do in such situations. I haven't been to a venue in quite sometime, mainly because I'm always too broke...from drinking. But I'm on day 18 and look forward to the day when I can actually afford a concert and enjoy it sober!

Congrats again
Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 84
Old 08-13-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 84 is fantastic!!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome job on 84 days!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by simplex View Post
Today is day 84 for me and I thought about this scenario driving home from my girlfriends this morning. I went to a concert last night at a venue I'd gotten wasted at 2 years ago. To the point where I lost my group and somehow got an $80 cab right home, on top of the $100 spent at the venue for beer.

If I would have drank last night I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the music I was there to hear, I would have been focused on how full my can was. I couldn't have enjoyed the people I came with or even those around me, even the ones who had obviously drank way too much. I wouldn't have gotten up this morning at 8 and made a little money driving for Uber. I wouldn't have saved the money not spent on booze, or the possible legal consequences for driving home drunk.

Thought I would share this today I'm feeling a lot of gratitude for not having to wake up with the extreme anxiety and self loathing from a night out. I have been slightly struggling lately approaching the 90 day mark. Mostly my temper has been very short and my short term memory seems to have worsened. But I know it's a marathon not a sprint and I'm grateful for the improvements in my life that have already come my way. Thanks for reading hope all of you have a wonderful day.
You've got this 90 days in the bag simplex! Man, your story was inspiring especially for myself who was just thinking of all of the positives I have come into in only 11 days of not drinking. Mainly the money I've saved, and feeling like my pre-alcoholic self! Thanks for sharing and go get that 90 day mark. You've already done 84, so 6 ain't s***!
"1dayaddatime"
Old 08-13-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post simplex - congrats on 84 days too btw

D
Old 08-13-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Congrats on day 84, thats great! What concert did you go to? Was it incubus/deftones? I live in Acworth and noticed you're not too far! Small world.
Yeah it was! It was a good show, 2nd time seeing Incubus, 4th for Deftones they're always both good. That's crazy you're so close lol small world indeed.

Thanks everyone for the replies it is motivation and very helpful. I have heard that the 90 day mark is tough for some reason but I'm trying not to let that get to my head and focusing on the solution. I don't have urges to use but I feel somewhat restless and irritable. I got some exercise today playing tennis and going to do some work in the SMART book and maybe hit up a gratitude list.