I am EXHAUSTED

Old 08-13-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am EXHAUSTED

I know that I have not slept well in weeks. Actually, probably months. But definitely for the past few weeks, as I'm counting down the days to moving day.

What are everyone's go-to techniques for getting to sleep (and getting BACK to sleep...one of my biggest problems is waking up in the night and then not being able to fall asleep again)? I have 18 more days til the move...I need to find a way to get more rest during those 18 days, or I'm going to be a zombie at work.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love guided meditations online. This one really helps me let go of my worries and fall asleep. Sometimes I think I'm not tired, but I listen to this and I'm out cold before the end. I'll try to post a link here, but if you go on youtube and search "pita deep sleep" you'll find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivzcKAKsEA
Old 08-13-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wisconsin,

Feel you pain on the no sleep. It's draining. For me the key was always "turning off my brain". As long as my brain was working, thinking, no matter how tired I was, I would stay awake. So the key was something else that would be mindless that I could do (either awake or in bed) that would almost soothe or bore me to sleep.

I like the meditation idea a lot.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I read--mostly fantasy-type stuff that takes me into a whole other world. It's very good for shutting out the day-to-day "noise" of life. I also read if I get up and can't get back to sleep (unusual for me).

I read till my eyes are tired, and usually fall asleep fast.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was really stressed out, I made sure to exercise that day, then read until I fell asleep, usually with the light on and the book still in my hand.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

^^All really good ideas and things I've used. Exercise is a big one for me. Works every time.

Sometimes when I can't shut off the brain, I'll just think,"sleep - sleep - sleep," over and over to crowd out any other thoughts. If any other thought pops in, "sleep - sleep - sleep," Otherwise I can tend to ruminate over every little thing. If I wake in the middle of the night, a glass of milk and then the, "sleepsleepsleep," thing. It's usually when I'm worrying over something that my sleep suffers.

It's pretty understandable that you are wound up.

ONLY 18 DAYS!!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reading and those dumb mindless phone games knock me out every time. OH, and watching a movie does it too. I think that making my mind just STOP and focus on one thing just pushes me over the edge and knocks me out. lol

Counting the days with you, Wisconsin!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

For me, journaling helped - I just wrote all my thoughts & emotions & prayers -
it was kinda like a Dear God Journal.

sometimes just "dumping" & acknowledging my thoughts - helped me rest better ~

Still sending very pinkful thoughts for you!
Old 08-14-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, this might sound like total "woo woo" to you, but I've recently started listening to music that includes "isochronic tones" to help w/sleep. You can google the term to see what it is, and you can find CDs on Amazon if you want to give it a try.

It sounds nuts, but I can physically feel the relaxation when I play this stuff! It really works for me, might be worth a try for you also.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have endured bouts of insomnia during high stress times. Some things you can do - don't continue to lie in bed for endless hours if you can't get back to sleep. I agree with Lexie on the fantasy idealization also reading until you fall asleep again. The goal when your issue is waking up (as opposed to just not being able to sleep at all) is not to focus on the frustration on not being able to sleep. It will cause anxiety and keep you awake.

Changing area of sleep when you wake is effective, even if it means going to a couch. Another method is flipping yourself in the bed, head in the "foot" area. Sounds weird, this was suggested to me by a therapist years ago and it does work. If nothing is working I suggest getting up and finding something to do. I know there are other folks in the house but you can get on computer, read, watch tv - maybe you do have opportunity to do other things. I used to clean If I woke up. When there was nothing left to clean I started redecorating my house. What I found was when I could shut my brain off and NOT focus on the frustration of not sleeping I could easily go back to sleep. No its not great to lose a couple hours but its all about overcoming and retraining the brain to shut up so to speak.

I used to wake up at 2:06 am on the dot while this was happening to me. So strange.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's always the worst for me -- I seem to do OK getting to sleep but if I wake up in the middle of the night (especially with this going on) tough to fall back asleep.

Getting any better, Wisconsin? So many good suggestions here.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Wisconsin, this might sound like total "woo woo" to you, but I've recently started listening to music that includes "isochronic tones" to help w/sleep. You can google the term to see what it is, and you can find CDs on Amazon if you want to give it a try.

It sounds nuts, but I can physically feel the relaxation when I play this stuff! It really works for me, might be worth a try for you also.
Actually, yeah, there is an app for iPhone called MyNoise (google it) that has ALL kinds of sounds you can listen to while falling asleep--nature noises, white noise, rain or stream sounds, binaural sounds, anything you can imagine. VERY soothing and conducive to lulling you to sleep.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I used to wake up at 2:06 am on the dot while this was happening to me. So strange.
I've experienced this weirdness of waking up at the exact same time night after night also! What is with that?

And thanks for the idea of flipping head-to-foot--never heard it, will give it a shot next time I need help getting back to sleep.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love you guys! Honeypig, every single time you suggest something that might be "woo woo," I always end up loving it.

I totally popped a couple Benadryl last night, and slept pretty well. I really, REALLY needed the rest. I'm definitely going to check out isochronic tones.

The whole issue of reading...I used to be a voracious reader. It's one of the many things that I let slip away from me as my husband's alcoholism worsened. I have a stack of books from the library, and I'm looking forward to reconnecting with that part of myself.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Wisconsin.. Hey kiddo .. weather and stress plays alot in sleep... a good cup of my tea and in 15 minutes I am out like a light.. but if I wake up in the night .. the brain will not turn back off... sleep a blissfull sleep... the dark the soft bed and favorite blanket.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... I need a nap.. good luck.. and prayers for a better nights rest...ardy milwaukee