Notices

How did you mark your year anniversary?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you mark your year anniversary?

My year anniversary came and went, just another day. I feel like I want to treat myself to a pedicure or a massage. I wish someone would have acknowledged it with more than me reminding them, and a simple "good job."

It's hard because I can't expect non-alcoholics to understand how monumental the anniversary was to me. Or how much I continue to struggle but just don't talk about it anymore. Because what else is there to say?
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good job on getting a year

and congratulations too! it's a big deal.

I marked my year anniversary by posting it here and sharing with everyone my triumphs of the year, what I did to get through the times I wanted to drink, and how I maintained a positive outlook and also how I used this site a lot to help me get through the times I needed help.

Sharing your wins with others is not only beneficial to you, it inspires others to keep at it...
Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Congrats Lia Great work on 1 year !!
My first year came and went too with just a couple saying Good for you !!
I joined SR last month on almost my 2nd anniversary of sobriety . That was my celebration , finally finding a place where others understand our struggles and accomplishments '
Now that you mention it - I think people should have a celebration of "sorts " , it's a lot of Hard Work .. I'm picturing a Big Cake !!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll jump out of the cake!!

Kidding. Sort of.

Fully clothed though. That would just scare the kids otherwise.

Congrats on your 1 Year! I didn't do anything special. I say, get that mani/pedi - that sounds like a couple hours well-spent.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think a year is a huge accomplishment. Most people, normal drinkers that is, probably wouldn't bat an eye. I can't say it wouldn't bother me either, especially knowing how hard it is.

Congrats
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS !!! Fantastic, superb, wonderful........ I hope to get there myself. Folk on SR understand what an achievement 1 year is, so sit back and read and revel in the praise from here, really well deserved too.
Brilliant xx
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course the 1 yr mark is an important anniversary!!!!!

Congrats on the year and by all means, treat yourself to something special, you deserve it!

I celebrated my 1 yr mark simply by hanging out in the chat room here lol
Best party I ever went to and I still hang out in the chat room and still celebrate my "sober birthdays" with all my friends here.

And (tongue in cheek) great job on the year, sorry lol weird sense of humor here.

Congrats again
Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Congratulations on 1 year ~Lia~!!!!!! That is a massive accomplishment!! I have not reached it yet (7 months and 12 days!), but when I do........look out world!! I will be shouting about it to anyone who will listen!

You deserve to belatedly treat yourself to that mani/pedi and acknowledge to yourself when you are having it done, why, you are having it done. It is perfectly okay to pat your own back and be proud of yourself!

I am sorry you didn't have more of a response IRL but you know everyone on SR is cheering right now!

Well done!!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lia!!!

Yes it's true, normies don't get what it takes to get and stay sober. That's ok though. I don't know what it's like to be something I'm not, like say a man, so how can they fully understand what is like to be an alkie?

You do deserve to celebrate, and some pampering sounds perfect!

My first year, I'd started and stopped many times. Relapsed more times than I can remember. So his last time I committed to my emotional well being and getting seriously real with my alkie brain. I gave myself a pass on watching what I ate and working out. As a result, I didn't lose any of my chub. My celebration of a year sober was to focus on my physical well being and challenge myself with a whole30. It was great, and I'm really glad I did it.

Congrats again!!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well done Lia on 1 year!

It demonstrates to others sobriety is indeed possible = Proud for you!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Treat yourself Lia you are over a year sober you have done amazing go for that massage or pedicure for sure

Congrats Lia
Old 08-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Treat yourself Lia you are over a year sober you have done amazing go for that massage or pedicure for sure

Congrats Lia
Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Not even close to a year myself on day 97 here, but I definitely say treat yourself! Congrats on one year, Lia! That is very inspiring to me!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

Lia big congrats on 1 yr!! Awesome and the 584 million miles you traveled on this blue marble spaceship! Keep Truckin
Old 08-12-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations Lia!!! AND there is plenty to say.......glad you are here and d on't stop sharing your thoughts about your sober journey!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Lia!!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What you SHOULD have done on your 1 year anniversary of sobriety is to come here and trumpet your achievement. But, since you are here now, let me add to the list of those who have congratulated you.

When I hit the one year mark, 11 1/2 months ago, I don't remember feeling too celebratory. I was grateful. And relieved. But not giddy or overjoyed. I felt like someone who had just watched a bullet fly past my head. That kind of relieved.

And even if your friends and family don't fully appreciate the amount of work that you put in to this past year, WE understand.

So, get the pedicure. And a massage. And a few other treats if you feel like it.

You have earned them.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done on your 1 yr. Sobriety Anniversary.

I can try to keep my sobriety birthday quiet
to myself, however, I can't Staying sober
incoperating tools taught to me in the very
beginning to my everyday life takes work,
maintenance, vigilance, willingness, open-
mindedness, honesty, graditude, and humility.

I just celebrated my 25yr. Sobriety Anniversary
yesterday. On August 11, 1990 was the beginning
of my recovery journey. A many one days at a time
alcohol free.

I woke up yesterday morning, grabbed my
coffee and just couldn't keep quiet about
my special day. My achievement.

My husband and I just returned from our
bike trip to Sturgis safe and sound, but
while there I did pick up my 25yr. chip
to bring home with me. I also bought myself
a pretty AA ring months ago to add to
my other recovery jewelry and tattoos
to celebrate My Own Personal Journey
in recovery.

I know I don't have to broadcast it to
the world, however it is my own
responsibility to share my own ESH-
experiences, strengths and hopes of
what my life has been like before, during
and after alcohol to others new to
recovery.

It is suggested that we have fun
in recovery and it has taken
time to really experience what
being happy, joyous and free
really was and has meant to me.

The gift of recovery is to be celebrated
and should be.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

thanks for your post I can relate to all of it! and congrats on the year!

My first year? no one cared no one noticed i posted here for the first time and found people that gave a damn. I went to my first AA meeting and people cared applauded me shook my hand and gave me a chip etc.. That felt good but i was still disappointed in the people in my own home not careing but with the help of people here I understood why they would never get it like i do etc...

My second year I watched a documentary on bill w. I did a lot of reflection that day on where i'd been and how far i'd come I shed some tears my wife even said she was proud of me.

My third year it came and it went no one cared nor noticed but i was ok with that again I took some time to myself to reflect. I really think its a great day to sit back and reflect on the magnitude of it all etc..

My fourth year again it came and went no one cared nor noticed but again I reflected had some good quiet time to soak in the reality fo the fact that i had 4 years sober. Its still unbelievable!

now every so often i'll buy myself something or do something nice for myself and i try not to feel no guilt over it. I used to spend at least 15 bucks or more every other day on a case of beer and such. so if i wanna spend a few bucks on something decent now I dont shame myself for it. I feel i've done good.

At the end of the day its your day and your achievement soak it up enjoy it you deserve it.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lia - congratulations on your first year! Wishing you many more.

I cannot comment on my first year sobriety, I am the parent of a heroin addict in good recovery at 18 months clean - I will call her K.

I can relate what happened on her one year anniversary, it's kind of a shaggy dog story with a bunch of background needed, so sit back and read on.

K was really ready to get clean when she first went to rehab - she had tried detoxing herself (twice!) and only managed to stay clean for a few days on her own. K came to us and asked for help - we scrambled and got her into a good residential rehab within a few days.

28 days later she was discharged directly to a sober living house in Florida (SLF). The first few weeks at the SLF were rocky for her and P, the Director of Women was a major source of angst and frustration for K. The longer she stayed at SLF the less P seemed to be a problem - more likely was that K became less of a problem for P; but in any event K and P slowly became friends. It should be noted that P is in long term recovery herself (10+ years).

Time passed and eventually K was asked to join the staff of SLF at roughly 10 months clean. K joined the staff and became even more friendly with P.

K had a bit of a hard time finding a NA sponsor who "clicked" with her, but she persevered and eventually found a woman who she really liked and made much better progress on her steps.

K's one year anniversary rolled around and her sponsor and her NA small group took her out to dinner and actually made the presentation of K's One Year medallion at dinner - that was all very nice and more or less expected by K and myself.

It was what happened the next day at the SLF office that was totally amazing and never to be forgotten - P called the small staff together and presented K with a small, very pretty, wooden box - fitted inside was P's own One Year medallion.

K told us this story in a phone call a few days later - I commented that P must think the world of her to give away her own One Year medallion -

an object which at one time was probably her most valued possession.

K whispered back in that little voice she gets when she is on the verge of tears - "Yeah I know, I was really touched by it."

So hang onto your medallion and carry it with pride for this year, it's OK if it gets a little scratched or beat up from being carried, then stash it away in a safe spot - you never know, someday you may be a sponsor or just a good friend to someone else with one year's sober time and you can pass your's forward -- whoever receives it will surely remember your grace.

Congratulations again! Thanks for letting me share.

Jim