Notices

PAD insomnia... how long?

Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAD insomnia... how long?

today is day 7, but anywho. I know the downer is going to last about a month, but the insomnia is kicking my ass. Ive been taking melatonin (sp?) but the last few nights, but last night i tried to go clean. tossed and turned till 1130 pm, woke up at 3, tossed and turned till 4 before throwing in the towel.

Have been making sure im getting my vitamins and Vit D. Anybody else experience insomnia in the start? If so, how long should this be lasting? Any other suggestions?
Old 08-11-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joe

Insomnia varies from person to person. It got better after a week or so, but each night was a steady improvement.

There are some common sense ideas here:
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

If you don't feel it's getting better or you feel it's drastically impacting your life, why not see a Dr and make sure there's no other factors here apart from withdrawal?

congrats on 7 days

D
Old 08-11-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
Sorry about the double post.

The Docs know I have had insomnia (they dont know it was due to the 1 or 2 days i didnt drink each week i got it) and just say drink was the big prob in my life :/.It looks like i might need to bite the bullet and exercise, bah

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sorry about the insomnia, it lasted about half a month for me, progressively getting better each night. One thing I don't miss is the night sweats.

I know we aren't supposed to give out any medical advice but I made sure I took a B1 (Thiamine) pill each morning along with lots of water. If this helped or not I don't know since I have nothing to compare it too. It was advice I had taken from others in my shoes who had been down that road before me.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

A couple of weeks for me. Something that has helped me sleep when I was having troubles was one of the OTC meds like Tylenol PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a common issue in early recovery, so you should expect that things will improve. Try to not worry about it and I know that's hard. I have chronic insomnia and the more I worry about it, the worse it gets. If I am able to relax and believe I will be okay the next day, no matter how little sleep I get, my sleep is usually better.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome advice
Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
Sorry about the insomnia, it lasted about half a month for me, progressively getting better each night. One thing I don't miss is the night sweats.

I know we aren't supposed to give out any medical advice but I made sure I took a B1 (Thiamine) pill each morning along with lots of water. If this helped or not I don't know since I have nothing to compare it too. It was advice I had taken from others in my shoes who had been down that road before me.
B1 looks good from a quick google, a few quick foods rather than adding another supplemental:

pork, oatmeal, wheat flour, brown rice, sunflower seed, orange, eggs, asparagus, kale and animal liver
Thank you!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ghosts31

Welcome! ... B1 and a multivitamin are what my doctor put me on when I quit. Not sure that it helped with insomnia however as I was also diagnosed with depression and Trazodone was also prescribed to help if I couldn't sleep ... Therefore I'm not sure if my insomnia is alcohol withdrawal or depression related ... Lol.. But I'm sure the B1 and multivitamin helped with other withdrawal symptoms as I don't really recall experiencing them (and that was about a month ago) other than a bit of brain fog at times.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Joe!!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by Joe111 View Post

B1 looks good from a quick google, a few quick foods rather than adding another supplemental:

pork, oatmeal, wheat flour, brown rice, sunflower seed, orange, eggs, asparagus, kale and animal liver
Thank you!
I tried to eat an egg and a bowl of oatmeal every morning the first few months. I still eat oatmeal but eggs only a few times a week.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Joe, I suffered from insomnia without alcohol, which might be why I started drinking nightly to begin with. I also take melatonin and it really helps. I don't recall how long I had the sleepless night when I stopped drinking during the week, but I clearly remember the first night of quality sleep I got. I woke up feeling like I genuinely had good sleep. It felt different, but was a familiar feeling, like the way I slept as a teenager. Hopefully you will experience that feeling too. 7 days is pretty early, might take a few more days but its worth it. If you are anything like me, you'll feel great.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on a week sober Joe