Notices

Don't know if I'm ready but would like to try

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know if I'm ready but would like to try

I signed up on this forum 8 months ago wanting to change. I'm still in the same place. Actually worse. I think I'm drinking more now. Still functioning on the surface but behind the facade the drinking is getting out of control. I'm not sure where to start and what to do. All I know is that trying to stay in control of this monster is not working. I need help.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things yogapants
You'll find a lot of support here.

For me and many others here, it all started with a day one.

If you're concerned about withdrawals, it's always a good idea to see a Doctor first, I think

D
Old 08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you considered a detox center for a few days or in or outpatient treatment centers? It's always nice, and a lot safer to be around people that understand what you're going through. Maybe a first step would be a visit to your doctor. It's really not a good idea to detox on your own. Good luck. John
Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Dee's idea of seeing your doctor for help is a good one. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.

I'm glad you're posting now. There's a lot of support here.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Admitting I was not in control of alcohol was the beginning of sobriety for me.

You can do it.

Welcome, we're glad you're here.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi yogapants. Sometimes it takes us a while to get started. I was here a few months before I found the courage to begin my new life. I was so afraid I'd be losing something. In reality I was gaining my freedom & self-control. It's feels great when alcohol is no longer calling the shots. We're here to help!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even though things do get worse for us, it's still hard to accept that we need to stop drinking for good. Have faith that you can do this. I'm glad you posted.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I didn't drink today and I'm usually fine when I stop for a few days. I may feel tired and get a headache but generally can handle it. But then I get to day 4 or 5 and start again.... I haven't made it past those few days in several years now.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good, well now you are here and you can easily make it to day 6, 7, 8, and more.

Keep posting, keep reading. You absolutely can stop completely.

I had to take alcohol off the table forever. I cannot have even one drink. I mean, what's the point in one drink anyway? The game of moderating my intake was exhausting. Full abstinence is so much easier. It just took me a few months to feel good enough to really believe that, but now I'm all in.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome yoga pants!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome!! this site has helped me so much !!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogapants View Post
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I didn't drink today and I'm usually fine when I stop for a few days. I may feel tired and get a headache but generally can handle it. But then I get to day 4 or 5 and start again.... I haven't made it past those few days in several years now.
So don't start again? Sounds easy and I know it isn't. But put it on the table as an option. What makes you need to head down this path again, and what can you do to prevent it?

For me just stopping wasn't the answer. I had to fill my time that I normally hid away getting drunk pretending it wasn't an issue.

Day 17 isn't any different than day 3 other than you have time to fill. The hangover is over so now it is real that you buzzed for so long... It is easy to go back to the buzz from lack of anything other to do.

Plan for not being buzzed, it's what you want, right? Go for a walk before you buzz, eat before you buzz, sleep... these simple things help bring you back and you can make a plan for your time usually spent buzzed.

keep posting here, we all understand where you are coming from and want you to find your way. It is challenging, but living with a constant buzz is not?

welcome please post your thoughts, no one here started out on top so feel comfortable and welcome.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Well now you have challenged yourself to make it past day 4 and beyond! You CAN! (Make sure to get medical help if you need it.)

A string of "one days" means that your life will indeed be better I hope to read about your experiences for MANY days!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, yogapants, I can relate to what you're saying. Functional on the outside but struggling with a monster. I'm 8 days in now. This was the first Monday in a long time that I woke up well-rested and not full of regret. It's not easy, but it's worth it. We're all here for you.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome yogapants
Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yogapants - I finally hit that place where I knew I needed help, too. So after mustering up as much courage as I could, I talked to my doctor and asked him to keep it confidential. He helped me get past the worst part for me during quitting booze which is the insomnia.

If I can quit, you can...I promise. The first few days for me are always the hardest. I've relapsed twice and am now on my third time. It will be my last. And that makes me happy.

We are here for you!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you Yogapants! Your pattern suggests to me, and perhaps I am way out of line, that there are reasons you keep going back to drinking on day 4 or 5, and until you figure those out, your pattern may be hard to break. Might I politely suggest that you try and dig deep and figure out "why". Fear, boredom, regret, disappointment, helplessness, anger, lonely.....these are all normal human emotions that will always be a part of us, but they are often times the threads that weave daily strands into our rope of bad habits. YOU CAN DO THIS.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hang on!

Stick around. Keep posting. It helps stay engaged and keeps your mind working on solutions.

You can do this. As you know, it's just one foot in front of the other. One day at a time.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yogapants! What a brilliant username!

One thing I've been trying to get to grips to in sobriety, is that I don't need to change everything right at this moment. A minute sober is an achievement, just like a day is, a week, etc.

I needed to get some support, so I attend AA meetings, but there are a whole load of options out there if you feel it'd be good for you :-)
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is better to just do it. It is hard and it won't always feel great but it will get easier with time. The other option though is something that will just keep getting worse and harder.