Notices

week 3 musings

Old 08-10-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

week 3 musings

So I've passed my second weekend without drinking, which is good.

Feeling slightly more anxious than usual Sunday evening/this morning, not sure if that's related to withdrawals. I'm not sure withdrawals are even a thing with my usual weekend binge drinking type cycle?

Had some stronger cravings this weekend, went to a outdoors event and it seemed like everyone was drinking champers in the sun! Although I tried to be rational and think well not everyone is drinking, even the people I was with only had a couple of drinks then stopped. I still find that hard to comprehend, stopping drinking before being completely paralytic seems to be a easy thing for most people. No-one at the event was a mess like I would usually be, so I thought to myself wow I really am "that guy" usually. I had a couple of cold non-alcoholic beers ready which took the edge off and helped distract me, tried to think would I really enjoy this more drinking? I won't be hungover or embarrassed tomorrow, would I really be more lively or fun?

I think there's a real OCD component to my drinking as I feel like I always need to be drinking some kind of fluid and drink it fast. Never have a hard time getting my 2 litres of water a day.

Strangely I find myself fantasizing about some kind of dramatic life change where its all of a sudden OK to drink again, or I can magically drink like a normal person and it will be ok.

But I will not be drinking today at any rate.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 3 weeks upontheroof

D
Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

upontheroof , 3 weeks Congrats - Nice plan you had , being prepared !
Old 08-10-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Congratulations on staying sober and sharing your experience.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks..... it's a good milestone to easier and happy.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting to where you are, great job!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upontheroof View Post

Had some stronger cravings this weekend, went to a outdoors event and it seemed like everyone was drinking champers in the sun! Although I tried to be rational and think well not everyone is drinking, even the people I was with only had a couple of drinks then stopped. I still find that hard to comprehend, stopping drinking before being completely paralytic seems to be a easy thing for most people. No-one at the event was a mess like I would usually be, so I thought to myself wow I really am "that guy" usually.
Hey Upon,

Really good thinking here and good observations. I found the same thing when I stopped. Nobody I know drinks more than a few and they are totally satisfied, not even thinking about it. These kind of observations helped me to accept that I am just different than other people with alcohol. Their drinking doesn't even resemble my drinking, so it's not like everyone is drinking like I used to.

I had that magical thinking that someday it might be different but I sure proved to myself many, many times that it wouldn't. I always wanted to drink more than I wanted to be sober once I had that first one. The saying is totally true "It's the first drink that gets you drunk."
Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Upontheroof
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go!

I laughed when I got to the part about not having trouble getting enough water. I, too, have been so well hydrated the past 12 days!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Congrats.

The binge is the cliff.

Quit for 3 days, binge, quit for 9 days binge, quit for 24 days binge.....etc

The binge will ruin.

Don't drink, don't binge...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hey Upon,

Really good thinking here and good observations. I found the same thing when I stopped. Nobody I know drinks more than a few and they are totally satisfied, not even thinking about it. These kind of observations helped me to accept that I am just different than other people with alcohol. Their drinking doesn't even resemble my drinking, so it's not like everyone is drinking like I used to.

I had that magical thinking that someday it might be different but I sure proved to myself many, many times that it wouldn't. I always wanted to drink more than I wanted to be sober once I had that first one. The saying is totally true "It's the first drink that gets you drunk."
I could drink 1 or 2 at the party too...keeps the DUI threat minimal....but then I would go home and drink 8 more....

I was uneducated about alcohol Kindle. ...and alcohol PAWS...